Now that you're officially accepted to ONU, here are your next steps to becoming a Polar Bear. We’re not going to sugarcoat it: Enrolling in a university may seem overwhelming, but there’s fun to be had, too. Once you make your way through the administrative stuff, it will all be worth it. We promise.
Steps for an Accepted Student:
(Students who have received an acceptance packet from the University, but have not submitted their deposit.)
1) Visit Campus
- Make plans to attend one of our Orange and Black Accepted Student Days. This visit program is reserved for accepted students and their parents and offers extensive information on your academic program, living on campus, student activities, and campus services. We offer two dates: February 24, 2024 and March 23, 2024. Register here.
- If you haven't been on ONU's campus or would like to visit a second time, we encourage you to schedule with us. Your visit will include a campus tour, a financial aid meeting, time with your admissions counselor and a faculty appointment in your major. Schedule a visit.
2) File the FAFSA
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is scheduled to open this year in December. When completing the FAFSA, add our school code--003089--to designate ONU as a recipient of your FAFSA. If you don't plan to file, please notify the Office of Financial Aid in writing as soon as possible.
3) Make your Deposit and make it Official
- Reserve your spot in the entering class by submitting your deposit.
- Submitting your deposit provides student access to set up your ONU email, to register for Summer Orientation and select your housing.
Steps for a Deposited Student:
Some steps below require you to access my.onu.edu using your ONU network account.
1) Set up your ONU Network and Email Account
- Directions on how to set up your ONU network account are sent by email after you submit your deposit.
- Add your ONU email account to your phone, or download the Gmail app in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
2) Sign up for a Summer Orientation Session
- Registration for 2024 Summer Orientation will open January 1.
- Summer Orientation dates are: June 4, 5, 13, and 14
- We encourage you to register early. Spaces are limited and fill up quickly.
3) Connect with other New Polar Bears
- Join our Facebook group for first-year students. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
4) Sign up for Campus Housing
- Access the housing registration form on my.onu.edu using your ONU network account. Deadline for submission is June 21.
- Planning to commute? All incoming freshmen and new transfer students who wish to commute must turn in a form by June 24. All forms received after this deadline will incur a $50 late-processing fee and could result in the student not being approved for off-campus commuting. Visit Self-Service Banner to complete the Off-Campus Housing Form by clicking the "Student" tab, "My Housing", and then select the off-campus housing application within the housing self-service site.
5) Let your School Counselor know you are coming to ONU
- Your counselor will need to send us a final, official transcript, which includes your graduation date, before you begin classes at ONU. Transcripts submitted by email can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Be on the look-out for emails regarding placements assessments for freshmen
- Directed Self-Placement for Writing (all students), ALEKS mathematics placement (all Arts & Sciences, Engineering and Pharmacy students), and the Modern Language placement test (all students interested in studying Spanish)
OPTIONAL: Consider taking a Summer Refresher Course (Biology, Chemistry, or Math).
- Offered on campus
- Not required for entering students
- More info here