Q:  My parents have moved; how do I change my primary address?
A:  Address/personal-information changes may be initiated utilizing one of the following:

  • Change of Personal Information - This PDF form should be filled out, printed, signed and then mailed or taken to the registrar's office. 
  • You also can send the complete form via email, from your ONU email account only, to (Emailed forms can be accepted only for changes not requiring documentation.)

Q:  What are the different types of addresses?
A:   - Primary - Where most mailings will always reach you; usually where you lived while in high school or living off
      campus in Ada.
       - University - Living on campus in a residence hall or fraternity or sorority or other University housing.
       - Parent A - The address of where you live with one of your parents.
       - Parent B - If parents do not live together, where the other parent lives.



Q:   How does AP credit show on my record?
A:   AP credit is recorded as transfer credit.

Q:   What courses can I take by special exam?
A:   The first step is to get your advisor's approval and then the approval of the department chairman in which the course is offered.

Q:   I want to take a course at a college near home in the summer. What do I need to do?
A:   Contact your dean and have a Transient-student form approved.

Q:   I took a college course while in high school. Can I get college credit at ONU for the course?
A:   College-level coursework done while in high school is evaluated for transfer credit on the same basis as any work taken at a college. The work must be sent to ONU by the college or university on an official transcript, through the U.S. Mail, to be considered for evaluation. The institution must be regionally accredited and the work must be 'C' or better, and be appropriate to an ONU program.



Q: How can I get a replacement diploma?
A:  The request for a replacement diploma can be done by completing this form (

  • Replacement Law Diploma fee = $40
  • Replacement Undergraduate/MSA\Pharmacy Diploma = $20

Receipt of the replacement diploma can take four to six weeks to allow for processing and shipping. If a name change is needed for our system of record, then proper documentation will need to be provided (see Change of Information). The diploma will be issued in the current format and with the signatures of current University officials. For further information, please contact us at 419-772-2024.



Q:   What is the "overload charge"?
A:   When you are enrolled for more than 19 credit hours in a term you are charged an 'Overload Fee'. This fee is 75% of the part-time hourly tuition charge for each credit hour above 19 hours. Please note: there are some exceptions for performance groups and sports. Contact the Controller’s office for specific details.



Q:   What is "academic standing"?
A:   The following are the academic standings used at ONU.

  • Good Standing  - cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better.
  • Probation  - previously on good standing and cumulative GPA less than 2.00
  • Continued Probation  - previously on probation and cumulative GPA less than 2.00
  • Suspension  - previously on continued probation and cumulative GPA less than 2.00. Usually cannot enroll in the University for three (3) regular quarters. All such cases are reviewed on an individual basis by a college committee. Must apply for the suspension to be lifted and readmission.
  • Dismissal  - usually after a suspension has been lifted and a cumulative GPA of 2.00 has not been earned in the specified time period. Considered permanent in nature and not lifted for readmission.

NOTE: In the College of Pharmacy or College of Business Administration a Term GPA of less than 1.00 will result in a LT (Letter to Follow) standing and can then result in Probation or Suspension.

In addition there are two (2) temporary standings

  • Deferred - An "Incomplete ("I") prevents determining the proper status until removed.
  • Letter To Follow  - the student is eligible for suspension or dismissal, depending upon review by a college committee.

Q:   What is "satisfactory academic progress"?
A:   A full-time student is making satisfactory progress in a degree program when the student:

  • 1) Maintains a 2.0 GPA (3.0 for MSA students)
    2) Successfully completes 67% of courses attempted
    3) Has not attempted more than 150% of credit hours required for degree

Q:   What are the different graduation honors and the GPA related to each honor?

A:   A minimum of 30 graded semester hours must be earned at ONU to receive graduation honors. The university recognizes, confers at graduation, and records on the diploma three classes of senior honors: cum laude, awarded to undergraduate and first professional degree students with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5; magna cum laude , awarded to students with a cumulative point average of at least 3.7; and summa cum laude , awarded to students with an accumulated grade point average of at least 3.9. A student must complete at least 30 semester hours of graded courses at Ohio Northern University to qualify for graduation with distinction.

Q:   Where can I get information about my "rank in class"?
A:   At the end of each term for students not in deferred academic status (having an "I" any class), the student rank by college, by class and by cumulative GPA is prepared. This information can be obtained from the student's college dean's office.

Q:   How is class determined?/ How is my class (e.g. FR, SO, JR, SR, P1, P2, ...) calculated?






Getty College of Arts & Science

Thomas Jefferson Smull College of Engineering

0-29 Hours

30-59 Hours

60-89 Hours

90+ Hours

The James F. Dicke College of Business Administration

0-29 Hours

30-59 Hours

60-89 Hours and courses or equivalents and proficiency

as listed in ONU catalog. 

90+ Hours and Business Core

Raabe College of Pharmacy (classes are P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6) are based on hours earned and course completion. See the catalog for details.

Pettit College of Law

1L (0-27.99 Hours)

2L (28-59.99 Hours) and Cumulative GPA 2.00

3L (60+ Hrs) and Cumulative GPA 2.00


Q:   What is the "Dean's List"? 
A:   A student who attains a 3.50 or better average on 12 or more graded hours (A, B, C, D, F) for a term is placed on the Dean's list. Special, transient, or post graduate students are not eligible for the recognition.

Q:   What do I need to do to change my major (minor, concentration, option)?
A:   To change a major, minor, concentration, or option the student must have a “Declaration of Major” form completed indicating the change(s) and signed by the chair of the department or the Dean's Office where the new major, minor, concentration, or option is housed. The change of major form must be processed in the Office of the Registrar to be official.

Q:   I have forgotten/lost my Self-Service Banner password. How can I get a new Self-Service Banner password?
A:   You must contact the help desk 419-772-1111 and present your ONU ID card. Your Self-Service Banner Password will be re-set and given to you.

Q:   What is full-time status?
A:    Full time is 12 or more hours attempted in a given term.
        Part time is less than 12 hours attempted in a given term.

Hours in excess of 19 require your dean's approval and can incur overload charges of 75% of the part-time hourly tuition charge for each credit hour above 19 hours.

Changing from full-time to part-time can affect your financial aid. Check with the Financial Aid Office.