The behavioral ecology of birds, and its application to conservation and management.
BA, Hiram College
MS, Miami University
PHD, Cornell University
- BIOL 1031: Life and Earth Sciences
- BIOL 1201: Biology I
- BIOL 1401: Biology II
- BIOL 2511: Ecology: Theory and Applications
- BIOL 2901: Special Topics: Natural History & Ecology of New Zealand
- BIOL 3631: Ornithology
- BIOL 3661: Environmental Research Methods
- BIOL 3781: Behavioral Ecology
- BIOL 3831: Animal Behavior
- EXDS 2001: A Bird's-eye View of Global Environmental & Human Health
- Mager, J.N., Wade, B., Abts, S., and J. Paruk. 2022. Foraging patterns vary with degree of sociality among Common Loon (Gavia immer)overwintering on a freshwater lake. Canadian Field-Naturalist 136: 30-41. doi.org/10.22621/cfn.v136i1.2791
- Paruk, J.D., Wade, B., Byrd, A., and J.N. Mager. Wintering Common Loons (Gavia immer) exhibit daily social behavior on Lake Jocassee South Carolina. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 133: 326-333. doi.org/10.1676/20-00089
- Paruk, J.D., Evers, D.C., McIntyre, J.W., Barr, J.F., Mager, J.N., and W.H. Piper. 2021. Common Loon (Gavia immer), version 3.0. In The Birds of North America (A.F. Poole, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/species/comloo/cur/introduction)
- Paruk, J., Chickering, M., Mager, J., Wilkie, S., and R. Espie. 2018. Initial indications of PAH exposure in Saskatchewan Common Loons. FACETS doi: 10.1139/facets-2018-0009.
- Piper, W.H., Mager, J.N., Walcott, C., Banfield, N., Reinke, A., Spilker, F., and J. Flory. 2015. Territory acquisition in Common Loons: a strong impact of age but no footholds. Animal Behaviour 104: 155-163.
- Mager, J.N. and C. Walcott. 2014. Dynamics of an aggressive vocalization in the Common Loon (Gavia immer): A review. Waterbirds 37 (Special Publication 1): 37-46.
- Mager, J.N., Walcott, C., and W.H. Piper. 2012. Male common loons (Gavia immer) signal greater aggressive motivation by lengthening territorial yodels. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 124: 74-81.