Welcome New International Students
Ohio Northern University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant students. For further information, contact the Office of Academic Affairs and the Primary Designated School Official.
International Admission Requirements
International students normally begin classes in the fall semester. A student should apply to Ohio Northern University at least three months before the intended date of enrollment in order to allow adequate time to apply for a non-immigrant student visa in his or her home country.
As students are normally admitted for the fall semester the application process should be completed by May 15. To apply please complete the application and submit the following supporting documents to the Office of International Admissions.
- Official high school transcripts or records of national examinations
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (see below)
In order to obtain an I-20 the following documents are required:
- Affidavit(s) of Support and Bank Statement(s) (or)
- Letter of Sponsorship, if sponsored by foreign government
International Transfer students must provide a NACES affiliated evaluation member if transferring from a foreign university.
All classes at the University are conducted in English except those taught in the Department of Modern Languages. Therefore, it is essential that all students be prepared to understand rapid, idiomatic English as spoken in lectures and group discussions, to read English with ease, and to express their thoughts clearly in spoken and written English.
All students whose native language is not English must submit evidence of competence in the English language at a level that will provide the English-language skills necessary for success at the University. Evidence of competence can be satisfied by one of the following:
- Minimum score of 79 (Internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- IELTS Score of 6.0 or above, with no sub score below 5.5
- Minimum score of at least 75 percent on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
- Satisfactory completion of Level 112 at an ELS Language Center
- SAT Reading and Writing score of 610 or a 23 on the ACT English section
- Completion of AP English, IB English, A-Levels English
- Students who attended American overseas high schools or IB schools in which full instruction was done in English, may be exempt from proving English language competency. However, we strongly suggest taking the SATs or ACTs and submitting scores for evaluation.
Students who do not meet the above required evidence of English language, may qualify for one of ONU's English Language Programs. The primary task of Ohio Northern's English Language Programs (ELP) is to serve the needs of the English learner on campus. Its central mission is academic English preparation for students beginning degree study at ONU. English language preparation at ONU is delivered through two core programs--the International Scholar Transition Program (ISTP) and the Intensive English Program (IEP).
All degree seeking students will be evaluated for merit-based scholarship upon admission to ONU. Awards range from $4,000-$16,000 per academic year. Several scholarships and monetary awards are available to international students who have been accepted to the University and meet award criteria.
International student Tuition and Fees (2017-18)
|Tuition||Fee*||Total/Year||Room and Board**||Other Costs||Total|
|Arts and Sciences||$30,120||$1,145||$31,265||$11,270||$6,100||$48,635|
|IEP Intensive English||$15,000||$1,345***||$16,345||$11,270||$6,100||$33,715|
* Represents the International Student Fee and General Student Fee
**Freshman Housing in Founders Complex
***IEP has a $200 per year fee and is included in this total.
Immigration documents I-20’s
Accepted students will receive I-20’s by courier upon admission. We will contact you to verify your mailing address prior to shipping your admission documents.
Ohio Northern’s international services coordinator is dedicated to making the transition from your home country to Ohio Northern easy.
The Office of International Admissions can be reached by phone, email, fax, postal mail, or Facebook.
Office of International Admissions
Ohio Northern University
525 S. Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
General email inquiries
Phone: 419-772-2483 (outside the USA, 001-419-772-2483) Toll-free from within the USA: 888-408-4668 Fax: 419-772-2484
Director of International Admissions
Senior Administrative Assistant