Ohio Northern University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. For further information, contact the Office of Academic Affairs (Designated School Official). International students normally begin classes in the fall semester. You should apply at least three months before your intended date of enrollment.
International Admission Requirements
International students normally are admitted at for fall semester. Students residing in other countries should apply at least three months before their intended date of enrollment. The application process should be completed by July 15 and include completion of the application (link to application) and the following supporting documents:
- Official high school transcripts or records of national examinations
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (see below)
- Proof of financial responsibility
- Affidavit(s) of Support and Bank Statement(s) (or)
- Letter of Sponsorship, if sponsored by foreign government
International Transfer students must provide a NACES affiliated evaluation member if transferring from a foreign university.
All international students must purchase health insurance through the University.
All classes at the University are conducted in English except those taught in the Department of Modern Languages. Therefore, it is essential that all students be prepared to understand rapid, idiomatic English as spoken in lectures and group discussions, to read English with ease, and to express their thoughts clearly in spoken and written English.
All students whose native language is not English must submit evidence of competence in the English language at a level that will provide the English-language skills necessary for success at the University. Evidence of competence can be satisfied by one of the following:
- Minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- IELTS Score of 6.0 or above, with no sub score below 5.5
- Minimum score of at least 75 percent on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
- Satisfactory completion of Level 112 at an ELS Language Center
- SAT Critical Reading score of 550 or a 26 on the ACT English section
- Completion of AP English, IB English, A-Levels English
- Students who attended American overseas high schools or IB schools in which full instruction was done in English, may be exempt from proving English language competency. However, we strongly suggest taking the SATs or ACTs and submitting scores for evaluation.
Students who do not meet the above required evidence of English language, may qualify for one of ONU's English Language Programs. The primary task of Ohio Northern's English Language Programs (ELP) is to serve the needs of the English learner on campus. Its central mission is academic English preparation for students beginning degree study at ONU. English language preparation at ONU is delivered through two core programs--the International Scholar Transition Program (ISTP) and the Intensive English Program (IEP).
All degree seeking students will be evaluated for merit-based scholarship upon admission to ONU. Awards range from $4,000-$14,000 per academic year. Several scholarships and monetary awards are available to international students who have been accepted to the University and meet award criteria.
Immigration documents I-20’s
Accepted students will receive I-20’s by courier upon admission. We will contact you to verify your mailing address prior to shipping your admission documents.
Ohio Northern’s international services coordinator is dedicated to making the transition from your home country to Ohio Northern easy.
The Office of International Admissions can be reached by phone, email, fax or postal mail.
International Admissions and Services
Ohio Northern University
525 S. Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
General email inquiries
Phone: 419-772-2483 (outside the USA, 001-419-772-2483) Toll-free from within the USA: 888-408-4668 Fax: 419-772-2484
Director of International Admissions
Senior Administrative Assistant
Dr. Bruce Burton
Coordinator of International Admissions