Did you know? A minor in design is a great way for students to diversify an academic major and to incorporate design processes, design skills, and design thinking into the overall academic experience.
The minor in design provides students an overview of basic visual communication skills and the concerns of the communication design professions. Learn more about the graphic design and the advertising design program at the Department of Art and Design. Visit the department's web site.
- Professors are dedicated artists, designers, teachers, scholars and mentors.
- In-house design studio offers real-world business and professional experiences.
- Opportunities abound for field experience at primary and secondary schools, externships for studio art majors and internships at graphic and advertising design firms, museums and many other businesses and organizations.
- Visiting artist program brings to campus accomplished artists o
- Study-abroad programs in locations such as Italy, Ireland and France expose students to the exciting and wide world of culture and art.
- Students can gain hands-on experience designing University publications such as The Northern Review (student newspaper), Polar Droppings (department newsletter) and The Northern (University yearbook).
- Numerous talent awards and scholarships are granted to gifted students.
The department of art and design is located in the Wilson Art Center, a stimulating environment that offers well-equipped and updated studios, classrooms and computer labs. Located near the art center are the Elzay and Stambaugh Galleries, educational and cultural resources for the Ohio Northern community and the Northwest Ohio region. Throughout the year, the galleries feature outstanding exhibits from international and regional artists as well as ONU faculty and students. The modern three-story Heterick Memorial Library houses the fine art, design and photography book and periodical collections.
AIGA/The Professional Association for Design, Kappa Pi National Art Honorary, National Art Education Association, Student Art League
The department of art and design is committed to teaching and learning through an intensive, structured and sequential program of visual studies and liberal arts education. Our goal is to develop students as creative, productive and intellectually curious artists and designers capable of historical and cultural insight, critical thinking and technical proficiency in an area of emphasis.