Skip To Main Content

International Student On-Campus Employment

  • Degree-seeking students who hold F-1 visas are allowed to work on campus after completing their first semester at ONU.
  • Exchange and LLM students are typically not approved to work on campus during their period of study. These students may be eligible for Academic Training following their studies at ONU.

How Do I Find an On-Campus Job?

  • Job postings are available in the Polar Careers powered by Symplicity database; log in with your email address and password and search for "Student Employment".
  • Make an appointment to speak with someone at the Polar Careers office on the second floor of McIntosh Center. 
  • Ask classmates, professors and friends if they know of any jobs available across campus. 
  • Click here for step-by-step tips on how to apply for a job using Polar Careers powered by Symplicity.
    Also, click here for tips on how to identify possible job opportunities.

How do I become eligible for on-campus work?

  • Apply for a campus job and complete the interview process.
  • Be in status according to the rules of your F-1 or J-1 visa.
  • Obtain a Social Security card.
    • Request a "Verification of Employment" letter from your on-campus work supervisor. This is a sample Verification of Employment letter.
    • Schedule an appointment with a DSO or ARO in the Office of Academic Affairs on the second floor of Lehr. The DSO or ARO will write another Work Eligibility letter for you. (NOTE:  bring the "Verification of Employment" letter from your supervisor to the appointment)
    • Apply for a Social Security number in person at the Social Security Office in Lima, Ohio. Contact the International Student Services Coordinator with any questions about this off-campus appointment.
  • Go to the Office of Human Resources on the first floor of the Lehr Building.  Bring your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, most recent I-94, and proof of application for the Social Security number (receipt). Complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form and other forms. If you have any questions about those forms, direct your questions to Human Resources or a DSO/ARO.

When Can I Start Working?

  • You can begin working as soon as you can
    • Show proof that you have applied for a Social Security number (receipt from the Social Security office).
    • Use the ONU payroll and timesheet system through Human Resources
  • NOTE:  After applying for your Social Security card, you will receive your number and card in the mail in a few weeks. As soon as your Social Security card arrives, take this to the Office of Human Resources.

 Are There Rules to Working On Campus?

  • Visit this webpage to find more information about ONU's Student Employment Program
  • International students cannot work more than 20 hours a week when classes are in session. During breaks and summer, full-time on-campus employment is permitted.