Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

The University Catalog contains the official wording of university policies and procedures and should be consulted after reading information on the ONU Web site.


AP credit, Transfer and Transient work, Study Abroad, Special Exams, etc.

Athletic Eligibility

Diploma Information

Fees, Billing


GPA, Grades, Grading, Marks and Final Exams







Q:  My parents have moved; how do I change my primary address?
A:  Please see this link for full address change information.

Q:  What are the different types of addresses?
A:   Primary - Where most mailings will always reach you; usually where you lived while in high school or living off
      campus in Ada.
      University - Living on campus in a residence hall or fraternity or sorority or other University housing.
      Parent A - The address of where you live with one of your parents.
      Parent B - If parents do not live together, where the other parent lives.


AP credit, Transfer and Transient work, Study Abroad, Special Exams, etc.

Q:   How does AP credit show on my record?
A:   AP credit is recorded as transfer credit.

Q:   What courses can I take by special exam?
A:   The first step is to get your advisor's approval and then the approval of the department chairman in which the course is offered.

Q:   I want to take a course at a college near home in the summer. What do I need to do?
A:   Contact your dean and have a Transient-student form approved.

Q:   I took a college course while in high school. Can I get college credit at ONU for the course?
A:   College level coursework done while in high school is evaluated for transfer credit on the same basis as any work taken at a college. The work must be sent to ONU by the college or university on an official transcript, through the U.S. Mail, to be considered for evaluation. The institution must be regionally accredited and the work must be 'C' or better, and be appropriate to an ONU program.


Athletic Eligibility

Q:   What determines athletic eligibility?
A:   ONU Faculty Handbook 3.26 Students Eligibility - Intercollegiate Varsity Sports, Extracurricular and Cocurricular Activities (9/92)

  1. Ohio Northern University is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (N.C.A.A.) and the Ohio Athletic Conference (O.A.C.) and follows the constitutions and by-laws of those organizations in determining eligibility for intercollegiate athletics.
  2. Students are in good academic standing for eligibility to participate in extracurricular and cocurricular activities of the University unless restricted from doing so by action of the Dean of the student's college of registration for academic reasons or by the Dean of Students or the Director of Athletics for disciplinary reasons.

Good academic standing for eligibility denotes that a student is registered for classes and meets the minimum standard accumulative grade point average necessary to be eligible to participate in intercollegiate varsity sports, extracurricular and cocurricular activities where the student represents the University in competitive events.

For students enrolled prior to the Fall of the 2008-09 Academic Year:
The University standard is:

  • Freshman year 1.60
  • Sophomore year 1.80
  • Junior year or higher 2.00

Individual colleges may establish higher standards. The colleges of business administration, engineering, pharmacy and law, by action of their respective faculty, have adopted higher standards. Students in these colleges must meet the 2.00 standard to be considered "in good academic standing."

For students entering or readmitted to Ohio Northern University in the fall 2008 or later:

The University standard is:

Those who have earned fewer than 25 quarter credit hours or 24 semester credit hours total must maintain at least a 1.80 cumulative grade point average to participate in competitive activities of individuals, team, or other groups officially designated as representing the University. Those who have earned more than 25 quarter credit hours or 24 semester credit hours total must maintain at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average to participate in competitive activities of individuals, teams, or other groups officially designated as representing the University. 


Diploma Information

Q: How can I get a replacement diploma?
A:  See the Graduation Information: Replacement Diploma for more information.


Fees, Billing

Q:   What is the "overload charge" ?
A:   When you are enrolled for more than 19 credit hours in a term you are charged an 'Overload Fee'. This fee is 75% of the part-time hourly tuition charge for each credit hour above 19 hours. Please note: there are some exceptions for performance groups and sports. Contact the Controller’s office for specific details.



Q:   What is "academic standing"?
A:   The following are the academic standings used at ONU.

  • Good Standing  - cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better.
  • Probation  - previously on good standing and cumulative GPA less than 2.00
  • Continued Probation  - previously on probation and cumulative GPA less than 2.00
  • Suspension  - previously on continued probation and cumulative GPA less than 2.00. Usually cannot enroll in the University for three (3) regular quarters. All such cases are reviewed on an individual basis by a college committee. Must apply for the suspension to be lifted and readmission.
  • Dismissal  - usually after a suspension has been lifted and a cumulative GPA of 2.00 has not been earned in the specified time period. Considered permanent in nature and not lifted for readmission.

NOTE: In the College of Pharmacy or College of Business Administration a Term GPA of less than 1.00 will result in a LT (Letter to Follow) standing and can then result in Probation or Suspension.

In addition there are two (2) temporary standings

  • Deferred - An "Incomplete ("I") prevents determining the proper status until removed.
  • Letter To Follow  - the student is eligible for suspension or dismissal, depending upon review by a college committee.

Q:   What is "satisfactory academic progress"?
A:   A full-time student is making satisfactory progress in a degree program when the student:

  • Maintains an accumulative total of credit hours completed in credit-assigned courses at the University, equivalent to the completion of an average of at least 12 credit hours during each of the previous academic terms for which the student has been enrolled 
  • Has been enrolled in at least two of the three terms immediately preceding the term of proposed participation

Requirement (2) shall be waived when a student is completing either: a cooperative education assignment or a study-abroad program.

Q:   What are the different graduation honors and the GPA related to each honor?
A:   A minimum of 30 graded semester hours must be earned at ONU to receive graduation honors. The university recognizes, confers at graduation, and records on the diploma three classes of senior honors: cum laude, awarded to undergraduate and first professional degree students with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5; magna cum laude , awarded to students with a cumulative point average of at least 3.7; and summa cum laude , awarded to students with an accumulated grade point average of at least 3.9. A student must complete at least 30 semester hours of graded courses at Ohio Northern University to qualify for graduation with distinction.

Q:   Where can I get information about my "rank in class"?
A:   At the end of each term for students not in deferred academic status (having an "I" any class), the student rank by college, by class and by cumulative GPA is prepared. This information can be obtained from the student's college dean's office.

Q:   How is class determined?/ How is my class (e.g. FR, SO, JR, SR, P1, P2, ...) calculated?






Getty College of Arts & Science

Thomas Jefferson Smull College of Engineering

0-29 Hours

30-59 Hours

60-89 Hours

90+ Hours

The James F. Dicke College of Business Administration

0-29 Hours

30-59 Hours

60-89 Hours and courses or equivalents and proficiency

as listed in ONU catalog. 

90+ Hours and Business Core

Raabe College of Pharmacy (classes are P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6) are based on hours earned and course completion. See the catalog for details.

Pettit College of Law

L1 (0-27 Hours)

L2 (28-53 Hours) and Cumulative GPA 2.00

L3 (54+ Hrs) and Cumulative GPA 2.00


Q:   What is the "Dean's List"? 
A:   A student who attains a 3.50 or better average on 12 or more graded hours (A, B, C, D, F) for a term is placed on the Dean's list. Special, transient, or post graduate students are not eligible for the recognition.

Q:   What do I need to do to change my major (minor, concentration, option)?
A:   To change a major, minor, concentration, or option the student must have a “Declaration of Major” form completed indicating the change(s) and signed by the chair of the department or the Dean's Office where the new major, minor, concentration, or option is housed. The change of major form must be processed in the Office of the Registrar to be official.

Q:   I have forgotten/lost my Self-Service Banner password. How can I get a new Self-Service Banner password?
A:   You must contact the help desk 419-772-1111 and present your ONU ID card. Your Self-Service Banner Password will be re-set and given to you.

Q:   What is full-time status?
 A:    Full-time is 12 or more hours attempted in a given term.
         Part-time is less than 12 hours attempted in a given term.

Hours in excess of 19 require your dean's approval and can incur overload charges of 75% of the part-time hourly tuition charge for each credit hour above 19 hours.

Changing from full-time to part-time can affect your financial aid. Check with the Financial Aid Office.


GPA, Grades, Grading, Marks and Final Exams

Q:   What is a GPA?
A:   There are two categories of Grade Point Averages (GPAs).
          Overall GPA is your cumulative grade point average.
          Term GPA  is your semester grade point average.

Q:   How is GPA calculated?
A:   Only grades of A (four points), B (three points), C (two points), D (one point), and F (zero points) are used in calculating GPA. (Grades or marks of I-Incomplete; W--Official Withdrawal; S-Satisfactory; U-Unsatisfactory are not computed in calculating grade point averages).

The cumulative grade point average is derived by dividing the total number of graded hours for which the student has officially registered into the total number of quality points earned and rounding the resulting number to two decimal places. The term grade point average is determined in the same way. 

Example:  GPA-Calculator spreadsheet or GPA Calculation Directions

A cumulative grade point average of 2.00 is the minimum for graduation.

Q:   Does work done on an ONU Study Abroad program impact my GPA?
A:   Credit earned in an approved ONU study abroad program is not used in computing the student's cumulative GPA. All credit earned will be recorded as S or U, based upon the assessment and evaluation submitted to ONU. Credit will be recorded under the name of the "Study Abroad" institution, with the ONU course equivalent or the title of the course as given at the ‘Study Abroad' institution, as appropriate. The University requires that the last 30 semester hours be completed at Ohio Northern University.

Q:   I need my "major GPA," where can I find the information?
A:   Your advisor or dean can access your major GPA on Banner. To calculate it yourself please refer to GPA Calculation Directions.

Q:   How does repeating a course affect my cumulative GPA?
A:   All courses can be taken only once for credit to count in cumulative GPA and hours toward graduation unless the course catalog description specifically indicates otherwise.

  • In the College of Law for non-repeatable law courses all grades are used in computing the cumulative GPA, but credit is earned only once.
  • In the college of Pharmacy for non-repeatable pharmacy (i.e., BSPC, PHBS and PHPR) courses, all grades are used in computing the cumulative GPA, but credit is earned only once.
  • For non-repeatable courses in the College of Arts & Sciences, College of Business Administration or College of Engineering, only the most recent grade and appropriate credit hours are used in computing your cumulative GPA and count towards graduation.

Example:  GPA-Calculator spreadsheet
41.00 quality points / 14.00 credit hours = 2.928571

Q:   I didn't get a grade I believe I deserved. What can I do?
A:   Talk to your professor. If you still believe the grade was not deserved, contact the department chair or dean.
See the catalog or student handbook for more information about the details and proper procedure to be followed in a grade appeals procedure.

Q:   What is an "Incomplete" and does it hurt my GPA?
 A:   An "Incomplete" ("I") is given by the faculty member, in consultation with her or his dean, when the student, for reasons beyond her/his control (illness, death in family, ...), is not able to complete the work required for a course by the end of finals.

 The "I" is not used in GPA calculations. The student's academic status is "Deferred" until the work is completed (must be within twelve weeks after the beginning of the next regular semester in which the student is enrolled unless the time is extended by the dean of the college in which the student is registered.).

If the student does not complete the required work in the allotted time the grade will be recorded as an "F" or "U" as appropriate.

Q:   If I repeat an ONU course at another college will it change my GPA?
A:   No. Only graded work, (A, B, C, D, F) completed at ONU is used in calculating your GPA.

Q:   Where are grades sent? How can I get my grades? When will I be able to get my final grades?
A:   The University does not mail grades. Grades are available from your ONU Self-Service Banner account by selecting "Student Services," then "Student Record," then "Mid-Term Grades" or "Final Grades." NOTE: The GPA seen on the Web will not be accurate until the Office of the Registrar has run several processes at the end of each term.

Please do not call the Office of the Registrar for your grades as federal laws prohibit the release of that information over the telephone.

Q:   Will missing classes hurt my final grade?
A:   The policy of the University is that all students are expected to attend all classes, including examinations. It is realized, of course, that not all students will or can possibly attend all classes. Absences from class fall into three main categories: a) absences because of other class activities; b) absences because of official University functions and activities; and c) absences because of personal reasons. Regardless of the reasons for absence, it is the student’s responsibility to contact his/her faculty member (preferably before the absence) so that mutual agreement may be reached concerning work to be completed, and how course grade will be determined in light of absences.

Q:   How long do I have to drop a class before a "W" appears on my record?
A:   Courses dropped within the first three weeks of a semester will not appear on official reports. At the beginning of the third (3rd) week of a term, any class dropped will show as a "W" on your transcript. A "W" is not counted in the GPA calculation. The College of Law follows a different calendar.

Q:   I have three [or more] final exams on one day; what can I do to get that changed?
A:   A student with three (3) or more final examinations scheduled on one day may seek relief through the Registrar's Office no later than the last day of the twelfth week of classes. The Registrar’s Office, after consultation with the affected faculty members, shall reschedule the appropriate exams to ensure that a student has no more than two (2) exams in one day.

Request to Change Final Examination Schedule 



Q:   What does a hold on my record mean?
A:   A hold can be placed on a student's record by any one of several University offices (admissions, financial aid, controller's office, college dean) in order to remedy a situation involving a student. Holds can prevent registration and can also prevent the issuing of enrollment verifications, transcripts or diploma until the situation is resolved with the appropriate office and the hold is released.

Holds can be viewed from your ONU Self-Service Banner account by selecting "Student Services," then "Student Records," then "View Holds."



Q:   I am enrolled in a course for which I don't have the prerequisites; what do I do?
A:   It is your responsibility to drop the course. Begin the process with your advisor.

Q:   I need a signature, and can't find my advisor. What can I do?
A:   See the department chairman or your dean.

Q:   There are two classes I want and they have a time conflict. What can I do?
A:   You will need approval from both professors of the courses with the time conflicts. Each professors signatures must be noted on your Course Request (Add/Drop) Form.

Q:    I received an email notice that an opening is now available to register for a waitlisted course. What do I do?
A:   On the registration page inside Self-Service Banner, you need to change the status of that course from waitlist to register and then SUBMIT the page. If you would rather, you can go to the Registrar's Office with a completed registration form (add/drop course request form) and they will do it for you. Make sure you do one or the other within 24 hours of when the notification email was sent or you will lose your place on the waitlist.



Q:   I need a transcript each term for my scholarship? What do I need to do?
 A:   Please see this link for full transcript request information/directions.

Q:   What does a "W" on my transcript mean?
A:   A mark of "W" on a transcript has no impact upon any GPA calculation or academic standing. A "W" means that a student processed a withdrawal from the course after the third week of the term.

Summer-session withdraw dates are different from the regular terms.

See the calendar for specific withdrawal dates for each term.

Registrar's Office

Melanie Hough

Fax: 419-772-2627
Lehr Memorial Building Room 106
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.