Skip To Main Content
- Offices and Services
- Public Safety
ONU Emergency Procedures
- Activate the building's fire alarm.
- Call 911 and give the location and description of the fire.
- Exit the building at the nearest exit. Do not use elevators. Report to rally point for accountability.
- Do not re-enter until the fire department notifies that it is safe to return.
- For a severe illness or injury, call 911 and give the location and description of the incident.
- Check the scene. Do not place yourself in a life-threatening situation.
- Keep the victim still and comfortable until help arrives.
- Do not move the victim unless imminent danger exists.
- Employee injury procedures can be found here: http://www.onu.edu/human_resources/injury_procedures
Crimes in Progress
- Call 911 and follow the dispatcher's instructions.
- If safe to do so, wait for emergency personnel to arrive.
Suspicious Object or Package
- Do not touch or disturb the object or package. Call the ONU Department of Public Safety at 419-772-2222.
- Avoid the area, but remain on premises and wait for further instructions from Public Safety.
- Get as much information as possible from the caller (location of bomb, when it was placed, what kind of bomb it is, etc.).
- Take note of the caller’s voice, listen for accent or speech mannerisms, background noise or voices, and emotional state, and note the time of the call.
- Call the ONU Department of Public Safety at 419-772-2222.
- During times of inclement weather, monitor local weather conditions by radio, TV or weather service. Know where predetermined shelters are located.
- Seek shelter when a tornado warning is issued by activation of sirens, TV, radio or weather service.
- Stay away from glass, windows and exterior doors.
- Continue to monitor weather conditions and remain inside until the severe weather has passed.
Hazardous Material Incident
- Evacuate to a safe location, preferably upwind of the incident.
- Call 911 and give the location, description or name of material, nature of incident, and injuries.
- Prevent access to the area until a response team arrives.
- If exposed to any chemical, either on clothing, on skin or by inhalation, decontamination and medical treatment should be provided immediately.
- Call 911 if the event is large or has the potential to explode; otherwise call Public Safety at 419-772-2222.