ONU big winner at Ohio Pharmacists Association annual meeting
Numerous Ohio Northern students, faculty members and alumni received awards at the Ohio Pharmacists Association’s (OPA) 140th Annual Conference. OPA, established in 1879, represents more than 4,000 pharmacists, pharmacy educator and pharmacy students throughout the state.
Faculty member and student awards include:
- Dr. Amy Fanous, PharmD ’12, director of the ONU HealthWise Mobile Clinic and clinical assistant professor of pharmacy practice, received the 2018 Pharmacist Public Relations Awards for her leadership in providing valuable services to the medically underserved communities of Hardin County.
- Dr. Michelle Musser, associate professor of pharmacy practice and director of outreach programming; Dr. Lindsey Peters, assistant professor of pharmacy practice; Dr. Michael Rush, PharmD ’05, director of ONU HealthWise; and Dr. Kristen Sobota, associate professor of pharmacy practice, were all honored as distinguished UNDER 40 award recipients for professional achievements and vision in the practice of pharmacy.
- The ONU National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA) Student Chapter Business Plan Team won first place in the OPA Business Plan Competition. Team members were Kenny Barga, Scott Gerdes, Amber Lilly and Jacob Lomax.
- The ONU NCPA Student Chapter placed second in the OPA OTC Self-Care Challenge. Team members were Nick Bileck, Nick Casto, Joe Marchiano and Mikayla Shea.
Alumni awards include:
- Dr. Aaron Clark, PharmD ’07, was the 2018 recipient of the Upsher-Smith Excellence in Innovation Award for demonstrating innovative pharmacy practice resulting in improved patient care by providing effective patient counseling. Clark is the chief pharmacy officer at Equitas Health Pharmacy, which operates pharmacies in Columbus and Dayton.
- Tod “TJ” Grimm, BSPh ’94, was installed as vice president of OPA.
- Dan Karant, BSPh ’77, was the 2018 recipient of the Bowl of Hygeia Award for outstanding service to his community. Karant is president and chief pharmacist of the Medicine Shoppe in Norton, Ohio.
- Dr. Jennifer Rodis, PharmD ’02, was honored as a distinguished UNDER 40 award recipient for professional achievements and vision in the practice of pharmacy. Rodis is associate professor of clinical pharmacy, director of partner for promotion, and assistant dean for outreach and engagement at Ohio State University. She also is a past recipient of OPA’s Distinguished Young Pharmacist Award.
- Dr. Ryan Schneider, PharmD ’05, took office as president of OPA. He also was awarded the 2018 Pharmacy Leadership Award of the NCPA and was honored as a distinguished UNDER 40 award recipient for professional achievements and vision in the practice of pharmacy. Schneider is chair and associate professor of pharmaceutical sciences at the University of Findlay College of Pharmacy.
- Dr. Micah Sobota, PharmD ’04, was the 2018 recipient of the Cardinal Health Generation Rx Champions Award for excellence in community-based prescription drug abuse prevention. Sobota practices as a clinical pharmacist at Coleman Behavioral Health.
- Dr. Tim Ulbrich, PharmD ’08, was installed as treasurer of the OPA. Ulbrich is associate professor and associate dean of student success at Northeast Ohio Medical University College of Pharmacy. He is a previous recipient of OPA’s Distinguished Young Pharmacist Award.
- Dr. Frank Wickham, BSPh ’60, Hon. D. ’97, received the Life Member Award for distinguished and long-term service to the profession of pharmacy and to OPA.