Skip To Main Content

Welcome to the payroll section of the Human Resources website!

Payroll Information

How to View Your Pay Advice

The Office of Human Resources processes faculty, staff, student, and summer/camp payroll for the University throughout the year.

Important Dates and Calendars:

Payroll Deadlines and Tracking Hours:

Student and Support Staff Bi-Weekly - timesheets are to be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on the Monday immediately following the end of the pay period unless otherwise noted on the Bi-weekly Payroll Schedule.

Faculty and Admin Staff Semi-Monthly – leave for the previous month should be submitted by the 15th day of the current month. Any other changes/adjustments are to be submitted and approved by no later than the 20th day of each month.

If you need to change the approver on a timesheet or leave report, please click here and complete the Approver Request Form.

To ensure accurate and prompt payment of wages, please follow the Department of Labor (DOL) Payroll Guidelines for Non-Exempt Employees and Students below: 

Entering Hours Worked on Timesheet

  • A timesheet is a legal document and is enforced by the DOL under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).  Therefore, all hours worked must be entered on the day in which they are actually worked.  If a day is missed and not recorded on the timesheet, please record the hours on a manual timesheet.  Entering the hours worked onto the next day or week that is worked could be considered falsification of a timesheet, and in a DOL audit could be terms for fines or penalties for ONU.  The Office of Human Resources always has manual timesheets available.  Please remember when the completed timesheet is returned to the Office of Human Resources it must include the supervisor’s signature to certify the hours worked.
  • The timesheet timeframe and work week definition begins Sunday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Saturday at 11:59 p.m.
  • All minutes are rounded on any timesheet to the nearest fifteen-minute increment. 
  • When an employee submits their timesheet in Self-Service Banner, they are officially certifying their hours worked.  When the employee’s supervisor approves the hours worked, they are also certifying the accuracy of the hours worked.  This is a legal document that is retained within the files contained within the Office of Human Resources.  

Flexing Time in a Work Week

  • Non-exempt employees at ONU are permitted to flex time within the same work week with the permission of their immediate supervisor.  If the employee is not able to make up the time flexed, then vacation, sick, or personal time must be used.

As an example, if an employee needs to leave 30 minutes early on a Monday, they have until Friday within the same week to make up the 30 minutes.  On the employee’s timesheet, the employee would record 30 minutes less on their total hours worked on Monday, and then 30 minutes more on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday when the time is made up. 

Proper Recording of Overtime Worked 

  • Non-exempt employees and student employees are eligible for overtime pay when hours worked exceed 40 hours within a Sunday to Saturday timeframe.  Unless prior authorization is given during the summer or semester break, students are not permitted to work more than 40 hours in a week.  During an academic semester, it is suggested that students not exceed 15 hours per week.
  • Employees and students will enter their hours worked as REG hours within the Sunday to Saturday timeframe. When the total hours for the week exceed 40, then all additional hours would be recorded as overtime hours.  If there are questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
  • Budget for overtime must be available within the employee’s departmental budget.  If the department was not awarded an overtime budget in the annual budget process, then the department will need to submit a budget transfer for the overtime and the FICA expense for the total expense.  All budget transfers are received by the Budget Office in Financial Affairs. 
  • Non-exempt employees and students cannot volunteer to work without being paid.  As an example, if the employees or students department is holding an activity on Saturday, and they are asked to be there by their supervisor, this circumstance would require the employee or student to be paid for their work on Saturday.  However, in this circumstance, the supervisor could ask the employee or student to flex time earlier in the week so an overtime situation does not occur.  This will require preplanning on the part of the supervisor since the flexing of hours worked must be within a Sunday to Saturday time frame.  We recommend that employees proactively communicate with their supervisors as to eliminate overtime.

W-2 Forms

W-2s are now available electronically. Instructions on how to enroll for electronic W-2s:

  1. Enroll online via Self-Service Banner
  • Log in to Self-Service Banner
  • Click on “Employee Services”
  • Click on “Tax Forms”
  • Click on the “W-2 Consent” link
  • Click the checkbox to receive W-2’s electronically

Please note: you will not receive a confirmation that your option has been selected. To verify you have selected the option for an electronic W-2, please go back to the Self-Service Banner main page, then go back to the "W-2 Consent" page and make sure the checkbox is still checked. 

  1. Complete the "Electronic W-2 Consent Form" found on the Employee Forms page.
  • An “Electronic W-2 Consent Form” can also be obtained by visiting the HR Office.

How to Obtain and Print w-2

1099 Forms

The Office of the Controller produces and provides 1099s to contractors or vendors receiving payment from the University.

All payroll forms can be found on the Employee Forms page.

Office of Human Resources
Lehr Memorial Building: Room 154
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.