To today’s students, financial aid is more important than ever. By increasing scholarship funding, we can increase the diversity of the student body, provide students with enriching travel opportunities and attract high-achieving scholars from every financial circumstance.
– Endowed scholarships make it possible to recruit students for whom the University is just the right fit, but who might not otherwise be able to pursue a high-caliber, post-secondary education.
– The Northern Now scholarship fund supports ONU’s highest priorities – student scholarships and financial aid – and it’s a great option for gifts of any size.
– Study Abroad scholarships ensure that all students have the opportunity to broaden their horizons by studying in another country.
– Honors Program scholarships enhance our ability to attract high-achieving scholars with extraordinary potential, such as future Fulbright and Goldwater scholars.
– Scholarships for Underrepresented Students help the University to attract and recruit talented students from various and diverse backgrounds, strengthening our campus community and enriching ONU’s educational experience.
Ohio Northern is populated with exceptional young students. They are eager to learn, motivated to achieve and ready to make a mark on the world. Yet without financial assistance, many of our promising students wouldn’t be here.
of ONU students, on average, receive financial support to make their education possible
awarded annually from scholarships and aid
average amount of financial support awarded to an ONU student
endowed scholarships available
Give to Northern NOW
If you’re an ONU alumnus, you may remember the moment when you fell in love with Northern and knew it was the university for you. You most likely attribute your ONU education and success, in part, to the generosity of the people who came before you. Northern NOW is your chance to give back.
When you make a gift to Northern NOW, it will be put to use immediately, providing financial assistance to deserving students TODAY. With your support, we can expand the Northern family, giving more students a pathway to an ONU education and the purposeful career and life that follows.
Endowed Scholarships: Inspire with your generosity
When you establish an endowed scholarship, you are making an investment in the future of ONU and generations of Polar Bear students. Your generous gift inspires and encourages students to work hard and reach their full potential.
An endowed scholarship is a permanent fund in which the principal remains intact and invested. Scholarships are awarded from the allocated income earned on the principal investment in accordance with the Ohio Northern Board of Trustees Endowment Spending Policy.
A gift of $50,000 is required, and it can be named for the contributing donor(s), in honor of a loved one, a special individual or a group such as your family.
Funding can occur through an outright gift of cash, appreciated stock or through a multi-year pledge of up to five years. Scholarships also can be endowed through a bequest or other planned giving instruments such as gift annuities or trusts. Visit ONU’s planned giving website for more information: onuplannedgifts.org
The donor, in consultation with the Office of University Advancement, determines the parameters and chooses the criteria for recipients (all students, those in a particular academic area or from a specific geographic area, etc.).
Ohio Northern stewards endowed scholarship donors through the distribution of annual reports, plus special events and activities to thank the donors of endowed scholarships and connect them with their student recipients.
Scholarships of all sizes enable our students to follow their passions. See the faces and read the stories behind ONU scholarships.