Aerospace Engineering Concentration
You’re passionate about machines that fly. We get it. Aerospace engineering is an awesome field. That’s why we provide a concentration for mechanical engineering majors that can lead to careers or advanced education in aerospace engineering.
- Take specialized courses in aircraft design, advanced thermodynamics, computational fluid dynamics and finite element analysis
- Participate in the ONU chapter of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Compete in the annual SAE Aero Design Competition, working with ONU teammates to design, build and test radio-controlled model airplanes
- Tackle a senior capstone project sponsored by the Air Force Research Labs at Wright Patterson Air Force Base or NASA Glenn Research Center
- Obtain a scholarship or pursue a research project through the Ohio Space Grant Consortium, NASA or the AIAA
- Engage in co-ops or internships or secure full-time employment at aerospace companies such as GE Aerospace, SpaceX or NASA Glenn Research Center
- Work side by side with an ONU engineering professor on aerospace research
MY ONU EDUCATION PREPARED ME TO JUMP RIGHT INTO ADVANCED COURSES IN AEROSPACE ENGINEERING WITHOUT SKIPPING A BEAT. AS A TEST ENGINEER AT SPACEX, I WORK WITH SOME OF THE MOST ADVANCED ROCKET ENGINES IN THE WORLD AND WITNESS THE INCREDIBLE POWER AND COMPLEXITY THAT SPACE TRAVEL ENTAILS.
Derick Endicott, BSME ’12, carved out a path to aerospace engineering at ONU. He worked with a professor on a computational fluid dynamics research project funded by the Ohio Space Grant Consortium. As part of this project, he presented research findings at NASA Glenn Research Center and at a national conference in Dallas, Texas. His ONU experiences led to a 10-week internship at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where he worked on particle-image velocimetry research, and to a graduate program in aerospace engineering. After receiving his Master of Science in aerospace engineering, Derick landed his “dream job” at SpaceX working in the testing and development of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rockets and Merlin engines.
Lori GoldsmithExecutive Administrative Assistant
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810