Associate Professor of Chemistry
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
525 S. Main Street
Ada, OH 45810
- 2000-present: Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio
- 1998-2000: Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Ohio Northern University, Ada, Ohio
- 1996-98: Senior Research Scientist, The Department of Medical Biochemistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- 1992-96: Research Associate, The Department of Medical Biochemistry, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- B.A. 1977-81, St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minn., Magna Cum Lauda (Chemistry)
- Ph.D. 1984-90, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn. (Biochemistry), Thesis title: "Mechanism of the Inner Membrane Permeability Transition in Rat Liver Mitochondria" Advisor: Dr. M.E. Dempsey
- Postdoctoral 1990-1992, Hormel Institute, University of Minnesota, Austin, Minn. Advisor: Dr. Douglas R. Pfeiffer
- Introductory Chemistry
- Introductory Biochemistry
- Advanced Biochemistry
- Mitochondrial permeability regulation
- Phospholipase activity
- Mitochondrial autophagy
- Rauckhorst A. J.; Pfeiffer, D. R.; Broekemeier K. M. The iPLA2γ is identified as the membrane potential sensitive phospholipase in liver mitochondria. (2015) FEBS Letters 589, 2367-2371.
- Broekemeier, K. M.; Rauckhorst, A. J.; Pfeiffer, D. R. Activation/Deactivation of the Ca2+ -independent Phospholipase A2 (iPLA2) in Rat Liver Mitochondria by Changes in the Energetic State. (2014) J. Lipid Res. 55, 826-836.
- Kimberly M. Broekemeier, Martha E.Gadd, Elliott D. Crouser, Jatendra Kumar, Gustav Graff, Douglas R. Pfeiffer “Mitochondrial iPLA2 Activity Modulates the Release of Cytochrome c from Mitochondria and Influences the Permeability Transition” (2006) J.Biol.Chem. 281:6931-9
- Elliott D. Crouser, Martha E Gadd, Mark W. Julian, Jennifer E. Huff, Kimberly M. Broekemeier, Karen A. Robbins, and Douglas R. Pfeiffer “Quantitation of Cytochrome c Release from Rat Liver Mitochondria.” (2003) Anal. Biochem. 317:67-75.
- K.M. Broekemeier, J.R.Iben, E. G. LeVan, E. D. Crouser and D.R. Pfeiffer. “Pore Formation and Uncoupling Initiate a Ca2+-Independent Degradation of Mitochondrial Phospholipids." (2002) Biochemistry 41:7771-7780.
- K. M. Broekemeier, C. K. Klocek, and D. R. Pfeiffer: "Proton Selective Substate of the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition Pore: Regulation by the Redox State of the Electron Transport Chain." (1998) Biochemistry 37. 13059-13065.
- K. M. Broekemeier and D. R. Pfeiffer: “Inhibition of the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition by Cyclosporin A During Long Time Frame Experiments: a relationship between pore opening and the activity of mitochondrial phospholipases.” (1995) Biochemistry 34, 16440-16449.
- P. Bernardi, K. M. Broekemeier and D. R. Pfeiffer: Invited Review. "Recent Progress on Regulation of the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition; A Cyclosporin Sensitive Pore in the Inner Mitochondrial Membrane" (1994) J. Bioenerg. Biomembr. 26, 509-517.
- K. M. Broekemeier, R. J. Krebsbach and D. R. Pfeiffer: "Inhibition of the Mitochondrial Ca2+ Uniporter by Pure and Impure Ruthenium Red." (1994) Molecular and Cellular Biochem. 139, 33-40.