Skip To Main Content

International Resources

F-1 Students

F-1 student employment can be divided into two categories: 1) on-campus, and 2) practical training. F-1 students cannot work on campus during their first semester at ONU. Practical training is divided into two parts as well: Curricular Practical Training (CPT), and Optional Practical Training (OPT). These types of training are only available to students who have been attending a university full-time for at least nine consecutive months. CPT involves employment that is usually required for a university course or an internship credit. OPT provides employment directly related to a student's major.

J-1 Students

J-1 student employment can be divided into three categories: 1) on campus 2) scholarship, fellowship or assistantship and 3) academic training

On campus

The Exchange Visitor Program regulations permit on-campus jobs related to, or not related to, a student's field of study. J-1 students are approved to work in any on campus job at ONU.

Scholarship, Fellowship or Assistantship

Employment may be required in return for receiving a scholarship, fellowship or assistantship. The work can occur on campus or off campus.

Academic Training

This is authorized employment related to a student's field of study. It is similar to an internship, in that it should provide hands-on, practical experience in a student's field. Exchange students not completing a degree are allowed Academic Training (AT) that is equal to the number of days spent enrolled in classes.

Academic Training must be authorized before employment can legally begin. An application for Academic Training must be made no later than the date of completion of the program of study, as indicated on the DS-2019. You must have a job offer related to your field of study in order to apply for Academic Training. 

Searching for Jobs

For jobs in the U.S., use Polar Careers powered by Symplicity and CareerShift. 

To access Polar Careers powered by Symplicity:

  1. Click here
  2. Click Student or Alumni
  3. Log in using your full email address and your ONU password. If this does not work, click "forgot password," enter your email address, and a new password for this application only will be sent to you. Your campus password will not change for other applications. Once logged in, you can change this password using the "My Accounts" tab.
  4. Follow the instructions provided after your first login to get started!
Polar Careers

Anne Niese

Fax: 419-772-2007
McIntosh: Room 220
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.
8 a.m.-5 p.m.