COUNT ON OPPORTUNITY
At the Dicke College of Business Administration, you’ll receive a solid foundation in the key facets of accounting. When you graduate, you’ll have the basics to help you prepare for professional certification exams such as the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) exams. Enroll in our nationally ranked Master of Science in Accounting (MSA) program, and you will meet the educational requirements to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam, too.
Small class sizes mean that you’ll get to know your professors personally. Your faculty advisor will be a CPA with real-world accounting experience who will mentor you through your academic program. You’ll also interact with and learn from business executives and entrepreneurs, many of whom are ONU alumni, who’ve forged amazing careers as financial and business leaders and who can open doors for you.
Your accounting program will blend rigorous coursework with real-world learning as you solve business problems for actual companies. Your mandatory internship will provide on-the-job training, and you’ll become proficient in using information technology such as QuickBooks, data analytics tools and SAP enterprise resource planning software. You’ll also hone your leadership, teamwork, creativity and entrepreneurial skills.
Upon graduation, you’ll be primed for your destiny – whether it’s working for a Big Four accounting firm, a large corporation or small business, or a governmental or nonprofit entity. You could even start your own company.
BETA ALPHA PSI
- BAP is an international accounting honorary organization for upperclass students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher that hosts guest speakers, tutors underclassmen, and participates in community outreach such as the IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program for elderly and needs-based individuals. BAP also hosts “Meet the Accountants Night” to give you networking opportunities with the Big Four accounting firms, Fortune 100 companies, nonprofit entities, and regional/local companies and accounting firms. Students participate in a regional conference and competition each year, often times garnering awards.
SAP UNIVERSITY ALLIANCE
- This partnership between SAP and member universities exposes you to the world’s most widely used enterprise resource planning software, SAP, providing you with critically needed skills to set you apart as you prepare to join the workforce.
BSBA EXPRESS PATH PROGRAM
- Qualified students can opt to participate in the college’s three-year accelerated degree program. When combined with our MSA program, you can earn a graduate degree and satisfy the educational requirement to take the CPA exam in only four years.
Work in accounting, build your résumé, and explore your interests and career aspirations in your domestic or international internship. Most internships are paid, and many result in offers of full-time employment upon graduation.
3+3 BUSINESS LAW PROGRAM
Interested in law school? Consider the 3+3 BSBA and JD dual degree path, which allows outstanding students to earn their baccalaureate degree and Juris Doctor in six years instead of the traditional seven.
ARIANA TOMASULA BSBA WITH A MAJOR IN ACCOUNTING '17
“ONU NOT ONLY PREPARED ME WITH AN EXCELLENT ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE, BUT ALSO HELPED ME BUILD THE IMPORTANT ‘SOFT SKILLS’ THAT ULTIMATELY BROUGHT ME SUCCESS.”
Ariana Tomasula majored in accounting because of the degree’s versatility. “I wanted to learn the language of business, knowing it would enable me to be successful in any field,” she explained. At ONU, Ariana held leadership positions in many student organizations, including Kappa Alpha Theta, Mortar Board and Beta Alpha Psi, an accounting honorary. She also played golf on the ONU women’s varsity team, garnering numerous awards, including qualifying as a Top 10 All-OAC finisher all four years. Today, Ariana is an auditor at a Big Four accounting firm, Ernst & Young, in Cleveland. She loves working in public accounting and traveling across the U.S. to meet with clients. “I have a passion for working with and helping people,” she said. “This career has given me the opportunity to develop relationships with my team members, clients and other co-workers.”
OUTCOMES AND COURSES
• 100 percent placement rate for accounting students in internships.
• ONU students land coveted spots at companies like EY, the Ohio Auditor of State, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Cardinal Health, Deloitte, GBQ, Marathon Petroleum Company, KPMG and Cooper Tire & Rubber.
• Our students consistently score in the 90th percentile on the Education Testing Services business exams.
• In the last five years, 99 percent of our accounting students were in full-time careers or enrolled in graduate school within six months of graduation.
You’ll need 120 credit hours to earn a BSBA with a major in accounting. We encourage you to use your elective hours to pursue courses or a minor that will make you more attractive to a potential employer.
Here are some courses you’ll take as an accounting major:
- Intermediate Managerial Accounting
- Intermediate Financial Accounting
- Current Topics in Accounting
- Taxation (Individual & Corporation)
WHERE COULD YOU END UP?
- Leading the financial or accounting function at a company
- Performing financial analysis and projections as a mergers and acquisitions expert
- Leading the treasury function of a large multinational firm
- Performing internal or external audits
- Big Four auditor
Companies that have recently hired our accounting students include PwC, Deloitte, Marathon Petroleum, the State of Ohio, EY, KPMG and Cooper Tire & Rubber.
Sharon RauschExecutive Administrative Assistant
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810