At A Glance
ONU is a distinguished university with an acclaimed music department...
- Ranked #2 in the Midwest by US News and World Report
- Named the Private University of the Year for 2012 by the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Programs
- Recognized by Creative Colleges Guide as one of the nation's outstanding music programs
...with a dedicated teaching faculty...
- 29 music faculty members possess national and international reputations as performers and scholars and are all first and foremost dedicated teachers and devoted mentors
...and accomplished students...
- 80 music majors, 25 music minors and many participants from all five of the university's colleges
- 10 former high school all-staters, as well as many former members of the Cleveland, Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati and Toledo youth orchestras
...who accomplish great things after graduation.
- 100% music teacher placement includes schools in Arizona, North Carolina, Colorado and many locations all over Ohio
- Recent graduates attend graduate school at Florida State University, Indiana State University, the University of Illinois, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, California Institute of the Arts, SUNY Buffalo, the University of Colorado, the Ohio State University and other leading graduate programs in Ohio
- ONU alumni are on college and university faculties all over the country
We offer a wide variety of programs in music...
- ONU is NASM accredited
- Bachelor of Music in Music Performance or Music Education
- Bachelor of Arts with concentrations in Music History/Literature, Music Theory/Composition or Applied Studies
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre
- Arts Management minor with copious practical experience in the Freed Center
...and outstanding pre-professional performance opportunities...
- Four choral ensembles
- Symphony Orchestra, Wind Orchestra, Symphonic Band and Marching Band
- Chamber music
- Pit orchestra experience
- Outstanding piano program
...in a rich on-campus musical environment.
- Outstanding Freed Center musical theatre productions provide real life professional-level experience for singers, dancers, pit players and stage technicians
- Nationally acclaimed collaborations with professional actors, directors, playwrights, choreographers and scenic and lighting designers including NYC Cabaret songwriter John Bucchino, Broadway and screen actor Gavin Creel and Broadway music director, conductor and arranger Phil Reno
- Annual Spring Band Festival featuring distinguished guest clinicians such as James Barnes, Patrick Burns, Mark Camphouse, Samuel Hazo, Steven Reineke, Julie Giroux and most recently, David Holsinger
- ONU Jazz Band guest performers include jazz stalwarts Ellis Marsalis, Arturo Sandaval, Allen Vizzutti, Clark Terry and vocalist Diane Schuur
MUSIC DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT
The Music Department at Ohio Northern University is dedicated to the promotion of the higher values of beauty and goodness through the art of music. We train highly skilled, talented and versatile musicians to be leaders in tomorrow’s cultural landscape and music industry – as music educators, artists, scholars, professionals and advocates. At the same time we take great pride in serving the greater whole of the university by providing its general student body with significant applied and academic opportunities, on campus and throughout the world.
We foster an environment that values both tradition and innovation. Our excellent faculty consists of premier artists and scholars of international acclaim in a variety of music-related fields, enabling us to offer conservatory quality applied instruction as well as opportunities for intense scholarship and fieldwork in the areas of education and pedagogy, musicology, ethnomusicology, music theory, and music technology. In doing so, we actively engage in global and cultural dialogues - our campus and the rural region as a whole greatly benefit from our stimulating programs and our understanding and perspectives on culture.
MUSIC DEPARTMENT VISION STATEMENT
The vision of the Music Department at Ohio Northern University is to be among the best private and comprehensive music departments in the nation that offer programs of excellence in professional development; teacher training; high-impact learning; and civic engagement in a student-centered environment.
To achieve these goals, the Music Department will continue to build on its strengths and pursue these key opportunities:
- We will recruit and retain an effective faculty and staff who possess diverse skill sets.
- We will aggressively market music students to our academic programs, while fostering our tradition of robust non-major participation in our ensembles.
- We will ensure flourishing and innovative academic programming.
- We will pursue the improvement and growth of facilities essential to the Department's mission and long term vision.
- We will cultivate wide-spread awareness of departmental events and activities as well as promote faculty and student accomplishments.
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810