About the Galleries
The Elzay Gallery of Art and gallery lobby is located on Gilbert Street on the campus of Ohio Northern University. The gallery is connected to the Wilson Art Center, the classroom-studio building that houses the department of art and design.
The gallery exhibits work of artists and designers of invited exhibitions throughout the year. Recent visiting artists and exhibits have included the Society of Illustrators Annual Juried Exhibit, the Ohio Watercolor Society Juried Exhibit, Artists Books exhibit, and Hyperflux poster exhibit.
Admission to the Elzay Gallery is free and open to the public, daily from 1p.m. until 4:30p.m. For additional information, to schedule a tour or to be placed on the arts exhibition mailing list, please contact the department of art & design at (419) 772-2160 or email.
The Elzay Gallery of Art is named for Colonel William O. Elzay. Colonel Elzay attended Ada High School and graduated from Ohio Northern in 1925 with a bachelor of arts. He earned an MBA from Harvard in 1929. After a career in the U.S. Army during World War II and the Korean War, he enjoyed a successful career as a trust officer with Chase Manhattan Bank and as an independent financial advisor. In 1965, ONU awarded him an honorary Doctor of Business Administration. He also served on the Board of Trustees from 1955 until 1985. Col. Elzay died May 26, 1995 at his home in Boca Raton, Florida.
The Stambaugh Studio Theatre Gallery is located on College Avenue on the campus of Ohio Northern University. It is connected to the Freed Center for the Performing Arts, home of the communication arts department. The gallery exhibits the work of artists of invited exhibitions throughout the year. Recent visiting artists and exhibits have included alumni exhibits, student exhibits, Robert Bailey (photographer), the Society of Illustrators Juried Exhibit and the Ohio Watercolor Society Juried Exhibit.
Admission to the Stambaugh Gallery is free and open to the public, daily from noon from 5 p.m. The Stambaugh Studio Theatre Gallery also is open prior to Freed Center events. For additional information, to schedule a tour or to be placed on the arts exhibition mailing list, please contact the department of art and design (419) 772-2160 or email.
The Stambaugh Studio Theatre Gallery is named in honor of John and Rhea Stambaugh. Both Mr. and Mrs. Stambaugh were natives of Ada and members of prominent Ada families with long-standing connections to Ohio Northern. Fifteen members of their families either attended or graduated from ONU, and the Stambaughs maintained a lifelong interest in education throughout the area.
Mrs. Rhea Welsh Stambaugh‘s parents both attended ONU. While a student, her mother, Cora, lived in the home of President Henry S. Lehr, the University founder and his wife.
Rhea Stambaugh graduated from ONU in 1913 and taught in the Ada public school system for several years. She was awarded an Alumni Citation in 1971 for her work in alumni relations of the school.
John Stambaugh was one of seven children of Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Stambaugh, a major developer and farmer of the Scioto marsh south of Ada. Four of J.B. Stambaugh’s children attended ONU. John graduated from Harvard and returned to Ada to enter the family farming business. He and Mrs. Stambaugh married in 1917 and continued to farm in the Ada area until the 1930s when he bought a section of land to farm near Plymouth, Ohio. He became known as “the Onion King of Ohio“ for his farm business acumen.
The Stambaughs made frequent gifts to ONU and to the Ada Public Library, which Mrs. Stambaugh and her sister Opal helped found. Mr. Stambaugh died in 1971.
Upon her death in 1989 at the age of 103, she established the John F. and Rhea Welsh Stambaugh Scholarship Fund. The balance of the bequest helped to construct the Performing Arts Center at ONU.
Wilson Art Building
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810