Vice president for financial affairs
Ohio Northern University (ONU), an independent, selective and comprehensive university, announces the search for a new Vice President for Financial Affairs (VPFA). The Vice President for Financial Affairs will lead the Business and Finance division and serve on the President’s Cabinet. The VPFA will oversee a University budget of approximately $92M and an endowment portfolio of approximately $160M and will join the dynamic leadership team of ONU’s President, Dr. Daniel A. DiBiasio, at an exciting moment of new expectations and progress at ONU.
THE DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES FOR THE VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCIAL AFFAIRS
To provide the leadership required in this position, the Vice President for Financial Affairs will demonstrate the following qualifications and attributes:
- Superior skills that reflect an understanding of the accounting, financial management, technological, human resources and physical plant areas of the University. It is expected that these skills will be attained from extensive experience in a financial administrative role preferably in higher education.
- Appropriate academic preparation to preferably include advanced degrees and a CPA certification
- Strong financial planning and management skills and a record of effectively and accurately managing the accounting responsibilities of an institution
- Demonstrated understanding of the structures and techniques of debt management
- Demonstrated knowledge of areas such as human resources; physical plant and other auxiliary enterprises
- Demonstrated success in building strong working relationships with senior leadership
- An understanding of investment strategies and an ability to assist the President and the Board with their responsibilities in continually building the endowment
- A person with strong communication skills who writes and speaks with clarity
- A commitment to the academic vision and mission of the University with the ability to think strategically and to analyze the financial impact of existing and potential programs as the University plans for the future
- A person of inter-cultural competence and global perspective, committed to diversity in many forms
- An ability to create a framework of financial accountability within the administration and finance area and throughout the University
- A person who manages in a transparent and collaborative manner—with an ability to work openly with all sectors of the University to assure an understanding of the financial and budgetary issues that reflects available resources and University priorities
- An ability to communicate effectively and openly with staff, faculty, administration and the Board of Trustees
- Possessing the ability to effectively communicate with constituents with a dispassionate analysis of information related to key issues
- A skilled personnel manager who can mentor staff, guide them professionally, as well as maintain a system of accountability
- An individual who understands servant leadership and demonstrates the principal in management and interaction in the University and greater community
- An ability to effectively communicate and work with banks, rating agencies and underwriters
- A person who is open-minded, visionary and is willing and able to make tough decisions but with a sensitivity to the human element and culture of the University
A person of integrity who possesses the ability to communicate effectively, who believes in the capacity building power of collaboration, and who responds to and demonstrates leadership, will find success in this key leadership role.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
The Ohio Northern Search Committee will be evaluating applications beginning in January 2020. Although applications will be accepted until the time that a new VPFA is selected, candidates should submit their materials by January 31, 2020 for the most favorable consideration. The new VPFA will begin work no later than July 1, 2020.
Applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and five professional references with email and telephone numbers (references will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant). Applications and nominations can be submitted here.
The search is being assisted by:
Oscar C. Page, Ph.D.
Executive Search Consultant
903 870 8303