Types of Gifts
Gifts of cash are the most common form of contribution to Ohio Northern University. A gift of cash is easy to do, and the gift is not subject to gift or estate taxation. A contribution that you postmark in December is deductible for that tax year. A cash gift entitles you to a charitable deduction for the amount of your gift. You may deduct up to 50 percent of your adjusted gross income for the year of your gift. If all deductible gifts in a year exceed the 50 percent limit, you may carry the excess amount over as a deduction for up to five years.
For example, Ed Smith has an adjusted gross income of $50,000 this year. He contributes $35,000 to Ohio Northern University. He may deduct $25,000 this year and carry forward $10,000 to deduct next year.
Gifts of cash are the most common form of contribution to Ohio Northern University. You may make your contribution at onugive.com or by sending a check (made payable to Ohio Northern University) to the address below:
Office of University Advancement
Ohio Northern University
525 South Main Street
Ada, OH 45810
Gifts-in-kind/tangible personal property includes items such as works of art, books, furniture, machinery, medical equipment, motor vehicles or food for an event which furthers the mission of Ohio Northern University. An online form is required to be completed for gifts-in-kind.
Pledges provide an opportunity to make a larger gift than you otherwise thought possible by committing your gift over a period of three to five years. You may set up your pledge online or call the Office of University Advancement at 1-866-ONU-GIVE (1-866-668-4483).
Creating a scholarship is a great way to leave a legacy at Ohio Northern. Not only will it provide financial assistance for students for years to come, but it is a great way to share your passion for a particular area of study. If you are interested in establishing an endowed scholarship , please call the Office of University Advancement at 1-866-ONU-GIVE (1-866-668-4483).
Gifts of securities
Transferring Securities: The transfer of a gift of securities to Ohio Northern University can be accomplished several different ways. The following outlines the two most common methods: mailing a stock certificate and transferring stock through your broker.
- Broker Transfer (Preferred Method): We have an account with a major brokerage firm and would be happy to work with your personal broker. Notify your broker of your intentions and ask him or her to call us to work out the transfer details.
- Mailing a Certificate: A certificate may be mailed directly to Ohio Northern. Mail the certificate in one envelope, making sure to leave the back of certificate blank. In a separate envelope, mail a signed stock power (sign exactly as name appears on certificate). Please leave the remainder of the stock power blank. Please send each by certified mail.
Valuation and Acknowledgement of Your Gift: We use the mean of the high and low of a security on the date of transfer to determine the value of your gift in accordance with Internal Revenue Service regulations. You will receive an acknowledgment letter from ONU to use for tax purposes. The letter will state the valuation of the gift and confirm into which fund or funds your gift has been placed.
The Information We Need: We want to be sure that your gift is recorded correctly. It is very helpful for us to receive a note from you confirming your gift, your current address and the purpose of the gift.
If you have a highly marketable property that you would like to donate to the University, there are several ways of completing this gift.
Long-term planning, like a bequest, charitable remainder trust, gift annuity or charitable lead trust, may be your best option for making a difference at ONU. Gift planning is the process of carefully selecting the best methods and assets for making a gift, such as cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, life insurance, trusts and bequests.
"I have watched ONU grow over the years in numbers of students, improved facilities and academic options for students. Many loyal alumni contributed in many ways to make these growths possible. It is now my time to make a more significant contribution by establishing a scholarship through my will that not only benefits ONU students, but also honors my parents who have also done so much for me."
-Ron Woofter, BA '61 established the Stanley L. and Grace Crow Woofter Endowment Scholarship Fund in loving memory of his parents
Benefits of Givers and Receivers
One of the most effective means of giving to Ohio Northern University is a planned gift. Gift planning is the process of carefully selecting the best methods and assets for making a gift, such as cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, life insurance, trusts and bequests. A planned gift can enable you to assist ONU in its long-term mission of education, research and service while also reducing your burden of income, capital gains or estate taxes.
Planned Giving enables you to :
- Supplement your personal income with annual lifetime payments with a charitable gift annuity
- Know the exact income from your Investment with a charitable remainder annuity trust
- Secure a hedge against inflation over time with a charitable remainder unitrust
- Reduce gift and estate taxes on assets you’ll pass on to your heirs with a charitable lead trust
- Make a quick and easy gift of property with a gift of securities
- Make a gift of stocks
Click on the following links to learn how you can match your financial goals while also making an investment in the University: bequests , cash gifts , real estate gifts , retirement plan gifts or testamentary charitable remainder trusts .
Planned Giving Brochures
Planned Giving Newsletters
You could double or even triple the impact of your gift to Ohio Northern if you or your spouse is employed by a company that matches the charitable contributions of its employees. Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions or volunteer hours made by their employees. To find out if your company has a matching gift policy, please enter your employer's name below. If your company is eligible, request a matching gift form from your employer, and send it completed and signed with your gift. We will do the rest. The impact of your gift to Ohio Northern University may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses.
Gifts in Honor/Gifts in Memory
- Gifts in Honor of someone are a special way of acknowledging an individual who has impacted your life. Whether it is to show appreciation to a former professor or to honor a milestone in a friend or relative's life, gifts in honor are a meaningful way to honor that person while supporting the mission of Ohio Northern University.
- Gifts in Memory are a special way to memorialize someone in your life who has passed away. Whether it is a family member, friend, colleague, classmate or faculty member, memorial gifts area touching way to pay tribute to a special loved one.
If you are interested in making a gift in honor/memory of someone special in your life, please contact the Office of University Advancement at 1-866-ONU-GIVE (1-866-668-4483) or by email.
Lehr Memorial Room: 302
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.