Greek Student Housing Agreement 2013-2014
CONTRACT FOR UNIVERSITY HOUSING AND FOOD SERVICE FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2013-2014
The Office of Residence Life agrees to uphold the conditions stated in the housing agreement and enforce the policies and procedures of Ohio Northern University.
This CONTRACT is a binding legal obligation when agreed to below. Please read thoroughly before signing. By signing this document, you are acknowledging that you have read, understood and accepted the terms and conditions of this contract.
This contract is a lease agreement between the University and the individual student. It is for the full academic year. This contract may be terminated only under the conditions specified herein.
The resident agrees that only those persons as assigned by the ONU Office of Residence Life shall live in the residence hall specified. The resident may not sub-lease the University housing to other person(s).
1. Applicability. This contract is applicable to all students living in University housing.
2. Period of Contract. This contract is for the ACADEMIC YEAR from August 22, 2013 through May 12, 2014. including closing dates for academic and holiday breaks as stated on the ONU calendar and in the ONU Catalog.
3. Room Reservation. Advance room reservations for the academic year are made only after the student has agreed to the terms for this contract and the non-refundable housing deposit is received.
4. Occupancy. This contract binds a student to pay rental fees at the current rate as set by the Office of Financial Affairs according to the University fee schedule for one entire academic year; i.e., the dates shown in #2 above. Residents must be full-time University students.
5. The University agrees to provide all utilities except long distance phone service.
6. Payment Due Dates. Payment in full for each semester is due on:Fall Semester August 6, 2013
Spring Semester December 17, 2014
7. University Breaks. Only apartments are open during university breaks.
8. University Meal Contract. Students living in University housing are required to be on a dining plan. Please refer to the Dining Plans & Points page listed online for information about the meal plans from the University Dining Service located in McIntosh Center. Dining room serves until Friday of each UNDERGRAD finals week (see on-line calendar) and is closed during UNDERGRAD University breaks. Serving times and dates are posted in the Dining Hall. Adjustments may be made to meal plans during registration for the coming semester ONLY.
9. Cancellation of Contract. This contract may be terminated only for the following reasons: graduation, withdrawal from the University, ineligibility to meet academic requirements, or marriage. If contract is cancelled, all personal belongings must be removed from the room at the time of check out.
10. Refunds. Room rental and Board is refunded on a prorated weekly basis after the due dates listed in #6 above, according to the remaining weeks in the semester and the date of notification of proper checkout. Refunds are only granted in the event of a student’s total withdrawal from Ohio Northern University; there is no refund on room after the 7th week of the semester.
11. Right of University to Cancel. The University reserves the right to refuse admission or readmission to University housing, or to cancel this contract during the academic year, for the student’s failure to meet University requirements, policies or regulations, or in the event of criminal conviction by civil authorities. If the resident fails to meet the conditions or correct the violations stated in the Ohio Northern University Handbook, the resident will be notified that this contract is terminated and the resident will be asked to vacate the apartment.
12. Assignment of Room. Every effort will be made to house students in their preference for housing. When a space occurs in a room, the Office of Residence Life reserves the right to fill that space. Please refer to the ONU Student Handbook for detailed information.
13. Responsibility for Personal Property. The University does not assume any legal obligation to pay for the loss of (including theft) or damage to items of personal property of residents, which occur in its buildings or on its grounds. Resident should cover personal belongings with insurance.
14. Responsibility for the Room. The student is responsible for the condition of the assigned room and shall reimburse the University for all damages to the room, and damage to, or loss of, fixtures, furnishings or property furnished under the contract. Each resident shall be required to complete a check-in sheet within 24 hours after occupancy and turn it in to the Head Resident. When occupancy is terminated, it is necessary to check out with the Head Resident, and remove all personal belongings at that time.
15. Each resident is issued a room key that is not to be loaned to others at any time, for any reason. The fee for lost keys is $50.00, which includes a new key cylinder and lock. The unauthorized duplication of keys to the apartment is strictly prohibited.
16. Pets. Fish are the only pets permitted in on-campus housing. There is a limit of one (1) twenty (20) gallon tank.
17. Guests. Resident is responsible for the actions of their guests and will be held accountable for any inappropriate behavior on the part of their guests. The number of guests should not exceed 3 guests per resident. The resident may not have overnight guests.
18. Alcohol. The use of alcohol within private areas (student rooms) of housing is permitted within the scope of the laws of the State of Ohio (legal drinking age is 21). EXCEPTION: Hard liquor, kegs, and beer bongs of any kind are not permitted regardless of age. Use of alcohol in public areas (lounges, hallways, other areas of campus) is prohibited. No alcohol is permitted in freshmen halls regardless of age.
19. Candles/grills. Because of the danger of fire, the burning of candles, incense or potpourri burners is prohibited. Additionally, the use/possession of grills or any open flame is prohibited in campus housing.
20. Smoking. Smoking is not permitted in any building on campus.
21. RESIDENCE LIFE reserves the right to modify the conditions of this CONTRACT without advance notification when changes to University policies, procedures, and systems dictate such changes. Advance notification of such changes is not required, however, if such modifications are necessary, RESIDENCE LIFE will make every effort to notify the RESIDENT as time allows.
22. Other Policies. In addition to these policies, the ONU Student Handbook and College Catalog contain other administrative policies and regulations of the University. All students are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with these policies.
*For students living in Greek housing: It is the responsibility of the fraternity to determine which of its members may, in accordance with established guidelines, be allowed to reside outside the fraternity house/wing. If, for any reason (e.g., withdrawal, expulsion, disaffiliation), you move out of your chapter house during the 2013-2014 academic year, you are required to move into on-campus housing with meal plan (*except if in a University apartment) immediately. Charges will be pro-rated to move-in date. See the Office of Residence Life to make arrangements.
The Office of Residence Life agrees to uphold the conditions stated in the contract and enforce the policies and procedures of Ohio Northern University.
By typing my name below, I acknowledge that I have read, understand and accept the terms and conditions of this legally binding contract.