You are here
Polar Pals Mentorship Program
Polar Pals is a peer-pairing program designed to help new international students with the transition to ONU and U.S. life. New international students who apply for the program are paired with a domestic, or experienced international, student for the first semester of school. They meet up at least 1 hour a week to hang out, practice English, learn more about each others' cultures, etc. The possibilities are endless!
The goal is for mentors to serve as a friend and resource to the new students and to be their go-to person to teach the new student not only how to survive at ONU, but how to thrive. In return, mentors will undoubtedly expand their cultural awareness and sensitivity and open the door for new friendships and international connections.
This can work into your needs as a Dimension Awards Scholar AND counts for Pharmacy Communty hours!
BENEFITS TO MENTEES
- Gain an immediate friend and connection to other potential friends at ONU
- Positive impact on social adjustment and enhanced interpersonal skills
- Increased knowledge of campus resources
- Practice English and learn nuances of American culture
BENEFITS TO MENTORS
- Increased cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Established friendships and international link
- Opportunities for future work, travel, or study abroad
- Cross-cultural experience which may assist in career choices at home
- Opportunity to develop a spirit of generosity and service in the global community
ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
- Kickoff Photo Scavenger Hunt
- Mad River Mountain Ski & Snowboard Trip
- Exclusive Polar pals retreat weekend
- Cultural exposure events
- Monthly Movie Nights