New International Students
We are very excited for your arrival to campus and hopefully you are preparing for the amazing, life-changing experience you are going to have at ONU.
This webpage will give you all the information and resources you need before you arrive. ONU international students should often refer to this site for information about orientation, immigration, employment, student life & involvement, and resources specifically for international students.
Simply click on the menu items below to learn more about each topic. Many of your questions will be answered on this site so we encourage you to read through all the information.
If you have further questions at any time, please email the International Services Coordinator at email@example.com
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
After you apply and are accepted to ONU, you will need to pay a $200 deposit. The $200 deposit is required for all students (domestic and international) and will be applied toward the amount of tuition and fees for your first semester. It basically tells us that you are committed to attending ONU. International Admissions will send you the link via email to pay your deposit.
Before you leave home, make sure you have talked with your parents and/or sponsoring agency, and determined how your tuition, housing and other fees will be paid each semester.
The tuition and fees for 2014-15 are displayed HERE. Tuition, housing, meal plans and other ONU costs are paid at the Controller’s Office on the first floor of the Lehr Building, or online.
The bill for the Spring 2015 semester is due by Monday, January 12th, 2015. A penalty is added to your bill if you have not paid by that date.
Best ways to pay
- Web-check: You may log into Self-Service Banner, click on your EBILL tab and select the pay now option. You will then enter your bank’s routing number and your account number. The tuition and fees will be paid without any processing. This transaction can only be processed with an American or Canadian bank account. Be sure you have enough money to complete the desired payment transaction.
- Check: You can pay your bill by writing a check to Ohio Northern University. This is a very economical way to pay your bill, as there is no convenience fee. If you do not have a checking account, we can help you with that process when you arrive at ONU. Once your checking account is opened, your family can transfer funds to your bank account, and then you can write a check to ONU.
Other ways to pay
- Credit card: The credit card holder must pay their tuition online through their Self-Service Banner account. There is a 2.75% convenience fee for paying with a credit card. ONU accepts payments from MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. VISA is not accepted.
- Wire transfer: Fees can be paid via wire transfer. Email Amber Carpenter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jennifer Briggs (email@example.com) if you want to pay by wire transfer.
- Debit cards: Debit cards are discouraged as only a certain amount can be charged per day. Paying your full tuition with a debit card would be challenging.
- Monthly Payment Plan: You may pay your ONU fees on a monthly plan. However, you must sign up to do this online through your EBILL each semester. There is a $25 charge for this service each semester.
Important payment due dates
- Fall Semester- August 25, 2014
- Spring Semester- January 12, 2015
Who receives bills from ONU?
After the student arrives, all billing will be done electronically. Bills will be sent to the student’s ONU email account. The student can request to have the bill emailed to a PARENT (or authorized user), but the student must make this request online through their EBILL by clicking on the Authorized Users tab.
If you don’t understand any of this information, please visit International Services.
Becoming a part of the ONU community starts with access to ONU’s Self-Service Banner System. This is an online system that all ONU students use to check their email, pay their bills, apply for housing, see their course schedule, and more.
ONU International Admissions emailed you a letter with your ONU Username and Password – this is the information you need to open your Self-Service Banner account.
1. At the right side of ONU’s home page, go to “Information for you”
2. Select Current Student
3. Select Self-Service Banner
4. Type your ONU username and password in the boxes as instructed
5. You will be prompted to change your password. Please pay attention to the rules you must follow when creating a password. WRITE this password down somewhere so you will not forget it.
Complete the ONU Housing Application as soon as possible!
Log in to Self-Service Banner, click on the “myHousing” tab at the top of the page and follow the instructions to complete the housing application.
This fast and convenient system allows you to provide information about yourself that aids our staff in determining your housing assignment. You will receive your housing and roommate assignments in your ONU email in early August.
Ohio Northern University’s residence life program aims to foster a dynamic living-learning environment. Living on-campus is a way of life at ONU, and we are committed to providing a quality housing experience. 90% of our on-campus housing facilities have been newly built or fully renovated since 2000, and 30% of our housing features earth-friendly, geothermal technology. Full descriptions of our first-year housing areas can be found at www.onu.edu/reslife.
All incoming Ohio Northern University international students are subject to the residency requirements in place for all ONU students. All ONU students are required to live on campus for 3 years unless they meet one of the following criteria:
- The student is 23 years old.
- The student is commuting from the permanent residence of a parent, grandparent, or sibling within a 30-mile drive to campus.
- The student has earned an undergraduate degree.
- The student is married.
- The student will be arriving to the United States with an F-2 dependent.
- The student has lived on campus at Ohio Northern University for 3 years.
From experience, the university has found that students who live on-campus tend to be more successful academically, more involved in ONU’s culture, and they develop more friendships than students who live off-campus. It is highly encouraged for incoming international students to live on-campus.
Spring Arrival Date: Wednesday, January 7th, 2015 BEFORE 8:00pm
Arrival Airport: Detroit, Michigan (DTW)
Ohio Northern University offers an airport shuttle service from the Detroit airport for all new international students! The cost for this service is $50. If you arrive on a day other than Wednesday, January 7th, or after 8:00 PM, you will be charged a different fee and you will be responsible for finding your own transportation.
Make sure to completely fill out the New Student Shuttle Request Form online. Once your request for a shuttle is submitted, a University Representative will contact you to confirm the details of your pick-up prior to your arrival.
When you arrive at the airport, your shuttle driver and International Student Greeters will meet you. They will have a sign saying “Ohio Northern University” and will be wearing orange shirts to help you identify him or her. When you return to campus, the International Student Greeters will help you settle in.
If you are driving in, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the time you will be arriving on January 7th so we can have an ISG greet you and help you check in to your housing.
The Medical History and Immunization Forms are required by all ONU students. Please print the forms, complete them before leaving your home country, and bring them with you to campus.
This document will provide you with more detailed info regarding housing, mailing, tuition and fees, a checklist, and orientation info.
|Pre-Arrival Guide - Spring 2015.pdf||981.36 KB|