International Student Scholarships
[Application Closed for 2013-2014]
The Yousef K. Shuhaibar Scholarship for International Students was established in 1994 to provide further assistance for international students at Ohio Northern University. This scholarship will be awarded to international students who demonstrate excelling attributes in both academics and extracurricular involvement. This is a self-nominated scholarship. To apply to the Shuhaibar Scholarship, one must complete the information below and attach all necessary documents.
Who may receive this scholarship?
- Full-time degree-seeking international students at ONU.
- Students who have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Students who will enroll for an academic year for 2014-2015
- Students on a government scholarship may not receive extra financial help; however you may still receive a honorable mention (a great boost for resumes)
- The Shuhaibar scholarship is approximately $5,000 dollars. This amount is divided between the recipients. It typically amounts to between $1,000 and $2,000 per winner.
To apply for the Shuhaibar scholarship you must:
- Fill out the Shuhaibar Nomination Form, which is at the bottom of this page.
- To complete this form you will need:
- A current resume
- A personal statement addressing why you should be considered for this scholarship
- Mention all activities/groups you are involved in at ONU
- Make a statement about how you have taken on leadership roles within groups or in certain situations during your studies at ONU.
- Include any additional information about campus involvement or academic success that would be helpful to the scholarship committee
- To complete this form you will need:
- Obtain two letters of recommendation from ONU professors or staff members
- Submit this information to the Dean of Your college
- You must turn in all of the required documents to your college dean no later than Friday, February 28.
- The recipients of the Shuhaibar Scholarship will be announced at the Annual Multicultural Fair on Friday, March 28th.
If you have any questions about this scholarship or about the application process, please feel free to contact International Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bruce Burton Involvement Award
[Application Due: March 18, 2014]
The Dr. Bruce Burton International Student Involvement Award was established in 2011 to show how degree-seeking international students are becoming involved on campus. The award will not be defined by quantity of involvement but as much as quality, impact and consistency. This may include venturing into a group not previously attended by international students, by starting a new group or organization, or by developing a role in the group by taking on progressively greater responsibility.
Annually, nominees for this award can be made by faculty, staff, or by the student him/herself. One recipient from each college will be recognized for their involvement. There will be one student selected from the four finalists, who most exemplifies and embodies the spirit of campus involvement, to receive the $500 cash award.
Please prepare a letter describing all the activities and leadership roles in which you have participated in on campus. Include any additional information about your campus involvement or academic success that would be helpful to the award committee. Describe the impact you believe your leadership and participation in campus organizations has had on other students and/or the ONU community.
Any person who chooses to nominate an international student or if the student chooses to nominate him/herself, please send the nomination form and letter to the International Admissions Office by March 18, 2014. A link to the nomination form is on the bottom of this page.
The award will be presented during ONU's Annual Multicultural Fair on March 28, 2014.
Karen Condeni Ambassador Award
[Application Due: March 15, 2014]
The Karen Condeni Ambassador Award was established in recognition of Karen’s commitment to excellence and international diversity at Ohio Northern University during her more than 38 years at ONU.
The annual Ambassador Award of $500 will go to the currently enrolled ONU student who represents the ONU commitment to diversity by demonstrating a documented action of positive outreach toward enrolled ONU international students. Since most International students (at ONU) come into a new and different culture and environment, such support tangibly indicates they are welcome and they are valued. At ONU, diversity is not only embraced but celebrated.
Examples of such outreach could include hosting international students during breaks, helping with travel considerations, tutoring, study and class support, introducing international students to campus activities, assisting internationals with transitional needs, facilitating group interactions that foster friendships and support, programming of cultural exchange sessions for other students, to name only a few. This award provides an opportunity to recognize the individual who led an initiative that stands out as educational, creative and of high impact.
● Must be a full time degree seeking student at ONU in good standing
● Demonstrate a documented initiative, action, a project or program that fosters a cultural bridge of goodwill, growth and development
● Nominations can be made by students, faculty and staff, including self-nominations.
● Nominations should be made to Brian Keas by e-mail (email@example.com) or campus mail to Academic Affairs and must be received by March 15, 2014.
● Please include the following regarding the nominated individual:
- A statement describing your outreach to ONU international students that indicates your impact on creating a welcoming and valued environment on campus.
Award winners will be selected by the International Affairs Committee and presented to the student at the Multicultural Fair on March 28, 2014.
|Shuhaibar Scholarship Nomination Form 2014.docx||17.98 KB|
|Bruce Burton Award Nomination Form 2014.docx||18.88 KB|