Skip To Main Content

New Student: Frequently Asked Questions

When is the earliest I can come to campus?

Arrival for Fall 2016 is August 11, 2016

Arrival for Spring 2017 is January 10, 2017

Can I come earlier to move into my room and get acclimated?

No. There will not be adequate services in place to facilitate your move-in at an earlier date. 

What airport should I use?

Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) located in Michigan is the closest large international airport, and the only airport where ONU shuttles will go for international student pickup.

How will I get to campus from the airport?

ONU provides an airport shuttle on August 11th. You have to fill out the Airport Shuttle Request Form with your flight information by August 1, 2016 in order to be guaranteed a spot. There will be a morning shuttle and an evening shuttle so your flight time will determine which shuttle you are on.


Do I have to get ONU’s health insurance?

F-1 Student Visa Holders:

IF you have US based insurance that meets the following requirements, you can request a waiver to opt out of the ONU insurance. If you want the waiver, you MUST submit the waiver application (see 2016-17 ONU attachment, second page) to Dr. Lynda Nyce by no later thanAugust 8, 2016. (Returning students:  You will NOT be able to opt out on the EIIA website, you MUST submit the waiver to Dr. Nyce)

Minimum Requirements for International Student Insurance:
  1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 USD per person per accident or illness
  2.  Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  3.  Medical evacuation expenses up to $50,000
  4.  The deductible must not exceed $500 per illness or accident
  5. A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
  • a. an A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
  •         b. a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
  •         c. a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above;
  •         d. a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
  •         e. a Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above

J-1 Visa Exchange Students:

All Exchange Students holding J-1 visas are required to purchase ONU Student Health Insurance, which is billed automatically. Health insurancewaiver submissions from Exchange Students will not be accepted. The cost for this insurance during the 2016-17 academic year is $1255/year (coverage is 8/1/2016 to 7/31/2017) or $530/fall semester (coverage is 8/1/2016 to 12/31/2016). This estimated cost is included in “Other Costs” on the form DS-2019.

Please let Dr. Nyce know if you have any questions.

Can I work in the U.S.?

In order to be employed at all in the US, F-1 students must also show that they have insurance that meets the standards of the Affordable Care Act. Since the insurance we offer for international students meets these standards, we are requiring that F-1 students also have our insurance offered through ONU. If students have insurance from a US provider, they can waive out of our insurance by reporting this to us, and by filling out the information for EIIA after EIIA sends out an email to the students. 

What immunizations do I need?

The ONU Health Center requires you to have immunizations for MMR, chicken pox, meningitis, hepatitis B, tetanus and a tuberculosis test. The meningitis vaccine is also highly recommended. Try to get these vaccinations before coming to ONU because they are not free here.

You can also get vaccinated through the Hardin County Health Department.  They come to campus every 3rd Tuesday of the month.  On those days you will find them in the Presbyterian Church located at 201 S. Main street, across from the Post Office.

Do I have to fill out the Medical History and Immunization forms?

Yes. All students are required to turn in Medical History and Immunization forms. These should be filled out before your arrival to ONU because you may need to contact your home doctor. Bring the completed forms to orientation.

 Should I pack light and plan to buy more clothes when I get to ONU?

This is up to you, but we are not close to a shopping center and there is no public transportation so you will not have access to a mall or shopping center until International Services plans a shopping trip or you find a friend who has transportation.

Do I have to live on-campus?

Yes, all ONU students must follow the 3-year residency requirement. In order to qualify to live off-campus, you must meet one of the following criteria:

  • 3 years (6 semesters) in the residence halls or apartments
  • 23 years of age
  • Proof of permanent residence of a parent, grandparent or sibling, within a 30-mile drive of campus for commuting
  • Proof of an undergraduate degree
  • Proof of having served in the armed forces and qualified for veterans' benefits
  • Proof of Marriage

Do I have to get a meal plan?

If you are a freshman, and/or live in the following residence halls, you are required to be on a meal plan: Founders, Park, Maglott, Affinity Village, Northern House, 5 University Parkway, Brookhart, Lima, Roberts, Stambaugh.

How do I get an on-campus apartment?

On-campus apartments are reserved for junior and senior students and depend on the amount of credit hours a student has accrued. Students in the apartments are not required to be a on a meal plan because the apartments include a full kitchen.

How do I get a U.S. bank account?

There is time set aside during orientation for you to go to a local bank and set up an account. There will be helpers to assist with the process.

Can I ship some of my belongings to ONU ahead of time?

Yes, you can. The earliest date you can ship anything to ONU is August 4, 2016 this year.  If it arrives before then, it will be returned to the sender. In order to ship something, you must first know your Unit Box #. Your Unit Box # will be emailed to you by the ONU Mail Center before your arrival. You will write:   

YOUR FULL NAME                                                                                     

402 West College Avenue, Unit ####

Ada, Ohio, USA 45830