New International Students
We are very excited for your arrival on campus, and hopefully you are preparing for the amazing, life-changing experience you are going to have at ONU. Check your email starting Dec. 1 for updates from International Student Services about what you should prepare for the upcoming spring semester.
Summer transient students can also find your information packet at the end of this page.
This webpage will give you all the information and resources you need before you arrive. You can also download our pre-arrival document from this site, although you can find this document in your email on Dec. 1, 2018, as well. ONU international students should refer often to this site for information about orientation, immigration, employment, student life and involvement, and resources specifically for international students.
Simply click on the menu items below to learn more about each topic. Many of your questions will be answered on this site, so we encourage you to read through all the information.
If you have further questions at any time, please email the international services coordinator.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
After you apply and are accepted to ONU, you will need to pay a $200 deposit, which is required of all students (domestic and international) and will be applied toward your tuition and fees for your first semester. It basically tells us that you are committed to attending ONU. International admissions will send you the link to pay your deposit via email.
Before you leave home, make sure you have talked with your parents and/or sponsoring agency and have determined how your tuition, housing and other fees will be paid each semester.
The tuition and fees for 2018-19 are displayed here. Tuition, housing, meal plans and other ONU costs are paid in the controller’s office on the first floor of Lehr Memorial or online.
The bill for the spring 2019 semester is due Monday, Jan 14, 2019. A penalty is added to your bill if you have not paid by this date.
You can download and print this information as well at the end of this page.
Best ways to pay
- Web-check: Log in to Self-Service Banner, click on your EBILL tab and select the "pay now" option. You will then enter your bank’s routing number and your account number. The tuition and fees will be paid without any processing. This transaction can only be processed with an American or Canadian bank account. Be sure that you have enough money to complete the desired payment transaction.
- Check: You can pay your bill by writing a check to Ohio Northern University. This is a very economical way to pay your bill, as there is no convenience fee. If you do not have a checking account, we can help you with that process when you arrive at ONU. Once your checking account is opened, your family can transfer funds to your bank account, and then you can write a check to ONU.
Other ways to pay
- Credit card: The credit card holder must pay their tuition online through their Self-Service Banner account. There is a 2.85 percent convenience fee for paying with a credit card. ONU accepts payments from MasterCard, Discover and American Express. VISA is not accepted.
- Wire transfer: Email Shannon Hadding if you want to pay by wire transfer.
- Debit cards: Debit cards are discouraged, as only a certain amount can be charged per day. Paying your full tuition with a debit card would be challenging.
- Monthly Payment Plan: You can pay your ONU fees on a monthly plan. However, you must sign up to do this online through your EBILL each semester. There is a $30 charge for this service each semester.
Important payment due dates
- Spring Semester – Jan. 14, 2019
Who receives bills from ONU?
After the student arrives, all billing will be done electronically. Bills will be sent to the student’s ONU email account. The student can request to have the bill emailed to a parent (or authorized user), but the student must make this request online through their EBILL by clicking on the "Authorized Users" tab.
If you don’t understand any of this information, please visit International Student Services or the controller's office.
Becoming a part of the ONU community starts by accessing ONU’s Self-Service Banner System. This is an online system that all ONU students use to check their email, pay their bills, apply for housing, view their course schedules and more.
ONU international admissions emailed you a letter with your ONU username and password; you need this information to open your Self-Service Banner account.
- Visit ONU online and click "Current Students" at the top
- Select "Self-Service Banner"
- Type your ONU username and password in the boxes as instructed
- You will be prompted to change your password. Please pay attention to the rules you must follow when creating a password. Write this password down somewhere so you will not forget it.
Complete the ONU Housing Application by Dec. 7, 2018.
Log in to Self-Service Banner, click the “myHousing” tab at the top of the page and follow the instructions to complete the housing application.
This fast and convenient system allows you to provide information about yourself that aids our staff in determining your housing assignment. You will receive your housing and roommate assignments in your ONU email.
Ohio Northern University’s residence life program aims to foster a dynamic living-learning environment. Living on-campus is a way of life at ONU, and we are committed to providing a quality housing experience. Ninety percent of our on-campus housing facilities have been newly built or fully renovated since 2000, and 30 percent of our housing features earth-friendly, geothermal technology. Full descriptions of our first-year housing areas can be found at Residence Life.
All incoming Ohio Northern University international students are subject to the residency requirements in place for all ONU students. All ONU students are required to live on campus for three years unless they meet one of the following criteria and are approved to live off-campus:
- The student is 23-years-old.
- The student is commuting from the permanent residence of a parent, grandparent or sibling within a 30-mile drive to campus.
- The student has earned an undergraduate degree.
- The student is married and residing with their spouse.
- The student will be arriving to the United States with an F-2 dependent.
- The student has lived on campus at Ohio Northern University for three years.
From experience, the University has found that students who live on-campus tend to be more successful academically, be more involved in ONU’s culture and develop more friendships than students who live off-campus. It is highly encouraged for incoming international students to live on campus.
Spring 2019 Arrival Date: Monday, Jan. 7, before 5 p.m.
Arrival Airport: Detroit, Mich. (DTW)
Ohio Northern University offers an airport shuttle service from the Detroit airport for all new international students. If you arrive on a day other than Monday, Jan. 7, or after 5 p.m. on Jan. 7, you will be charged a fee for pickup or you will be responsible for finding your own transportation.
Make sure to completely fill out the New Student Shuttle Request Form online. Do this by Jan. 2, 2019. Once your request for a shuttle is submitted, a University representative will contact you to confirm the details of your pickup prior to your arrival.
When you arrive at the airport, your shuttle driver and international student greeters will meet you. They will have a sign saying “Ohio Northern University” and will be wearing an ONU shirt to help you identify him or her. Wearing an orange shirt yourself will help them to find you too! When you return on campus, the international student greeters will help you settle in.
If you are driving, please email international services with the time you will be arriving on Jan. 7 so we can have an international student greeter meet you and help you check in to your housing. Let us know your transportation plans by Jan. 2, 2019.
Medical History and Immunization Forms are required of all ONU students. Please print the forms, complete them before leaving your home country, and bring them with you to campus.