Skip To Main Content

Maintaining Status

As an international student, you are registered in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and you must comply with all SEVIS regulations during your time in U.S. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure you are maintaining status. If you fail to comply with the regulations, your academic career could be negatively impacted, and you could be subject to deportation from the U.S.

Report Change of Address

You are required to report any address changes to International Services within 10 days of the change. At the beginning of every fall semester, we require all international students to complete a new Student Info Form by coming into our office. If you are a pharmacy student in your 6th year and on rotations, you must update us every month of your new address. If you moved to a new address, please fill out the form below.

Get Authorization Before Traveling

If you will be traveling outside the U.S., you must notify International Services in advance so we can endorse your I-20, or your DS-2019 must be endorsed by your sponsor. Travel signatures are valid for one year. If your I-20 fills up with travel signatures, we will print you a new one.

Authorization is Required Before Dropping Below Full-Time Study

All F and J students are required to maintain a full course load of study during the fall and spring semesters. Full time is 12 credit hours. You are only allowed to drop below full time for very limited cases, including ““initial difficulties with English language or reading requirements, unfamiliarity with American teaching methods, or improper course level placement” and you must receive approval for a Reduced Course Load.

Report Departure Date and Reason

If you leave ONU early or unexpected (before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019), you must inform International Services and explain your reason. Examples include early graduation, suspension, expulsion, or family emergencies.

Follow Employment Regulations

F-1 students are allowed to work on campus after their first semester. J-1 students are typically not approved to work on-campus. There are other stipulations for off-campus employment. Please refer to the employment page for more information.

Report Transfers to Another School

If you decide to transfer to another school in the U.S., you must inform International Services of your intent to transfer and the new school you’re transferring to. Your SEVIS record will not be released until you inform us. Then the new school can issue you an I-20 and the transfer can be completed.

Apply for a Program Extension

If you cannot complete your program by the expiration date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must apply for an extension BEFORE the expiration date is reached. Contact International Services.

If Changing Academic Program or Major

If you switch your major, you must inform International Services because you will require a new I-20 or DS-2019.

Adhere to Your Grace Period

F-1 students: After the program end date on your I-20, you have a 60-day grace period to remain in the U.S. until you are required to leave.

J-1 students: After the program end date on your DS-2019, you have a 30-day grace period to remain in the U.S. until you are required to leave.