What qualifications are needed to be admitted to the LEVAS program?
- Recognized law degree (including Sharia)
- Evidenced commitment to governance and rule of law in Afghanistan
- Minimum two years experience in government, academic or civil society organization
- Demonstrated commitment to return to Afghanistan to apply newly learned skills and knowledge
- Clearly articulated vision of the applicant’s future role in Afghan reforms
- Compelling letters of reference
- Adequate written and spoken English-language skills
- TOEFL minimum 460 or equivalent, IELTS 4.0 (ideal score ranges listed here)
- We will accept test scores that are still valid on September 1, 2017)
- Your score must be reported to Ohio Northern directly from the testing institution
- Ohio Northern's institution code is 1591
- Commitment to intensive English-language study
- Readiness to move to the U.S. in January 2018
How do I apply?
- Promptly submit a completed application, a statement of interest, and a copy of your current CV to the Center for Democratic Governance and Rule of Law at firstname.lastname@example.org (click here for a complete list required documents)
- Complete and electronically sign the application form, answering all of the questions. Be sure this application is attached to your email when applying
- Submit the form along with the other required documents to the Center for Democratic Governance and Rule of Law at ONU
- Documents may be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com (preferred method)
- They also may be sent by FAX to 01-419-772-3585 (alternate method - please contact us to ensure we receive the application)
- All documents must be in English or accompanied by translations
- A representative of the Center will be in contact if there are missing documents or omitted responses to questions
- Your completed application package will be reviewed, and an interview will be scheduled for those applicants who will receive further consideration
- The application period for the 2018-2019 LEVAS class has been suspended pending program review by the Department of State. Please check back later for program updates.
English Language Testing Scores
The score ranges identified below are to provide a reference range for the ideal LEVAS candidates.
|TEST TYPE||SCORE RANGE|
|TOEFL (paper test)||460 - 520|
|TOEFL (computer test)||150 - 185|
|TOEFL (internet test)||50 - 66|
|IELTS||4.0 - 5.5|
2017 - 2018 Application
The application period for the 2018-2019 LEVAS class has been suspended pending program review by the Department of State. Please check back later for program updates.
Documents REQUIRED to complete the application are:
- 2017 - 2018 Application Afghan LL.M - Legal Education of Visiting Afghan Scholars (LEVAS) (availability pending program review by Department of State)
- Copy of your passport
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score obtained with in the previous 12 months of the application date and reported directly to ONU from the testing facility
- 300 word essay explaining your interest in the program
- 2 Letters of recommendation attesting to your commitment to governance and law reform
- Copy of law school diploma in English
- Copy of your law school transcript in English
- An employer statement confirming your present employment (in English or translated to English)
- An up-to-date copy of your resume or curriculum vitae
We strongly encourage interested parties to gather the required documents and schedule required language proficiency testing prior to the application window to allow sufficient time to obtain the required documents. No extensions will be granted.
The 2017 - 2018 Application Afghan LL.M - Legal Education of Visiting Afghan Scholars (LEVAS) will be an interactive PDF allowing for electionic completion and submission. Adobe Acrobat will be needed to complete this document. Please click here for a free download of Adobe Acrobat.