What qualifications are needed to be admitted to the LEVAS program?
- Recognized law degree (including Sharia)
- Evidenced commitment to governance and rule of law in Afghanistan
- Minimum two years experience in government, academic or civil society organization
- Demonstrated commitment to return to Afghanistan to apply newly learned skills and knowledge
- Clearly articulated vision of the applicant’s future role in Afghan reforms
- Compelling letters of reference
- Adequate written and spoken English-language skills
- TOEFL minimum 460 or equivalent, IELTS 4.0 (ideal score ranges listed here)
- We will accept test scores that are still valid on September 1, 2017)
- Your score must be reported to Ohio Northern directly from the testing institution
- Ohio Northern's institution code is 1591
- Commitment to intensive English-language study
- Readiness to move to the U.S. in January 2018
How do I apply?
- The Center for Democratic Governance and Rule of Law at Ohio Northern University will not be accepting applications for future Legal Education for Visiting Afghan Scholars (LEVAS) cohorts. Upon review of all U.S. Department of State rule of law programs, it was determined that funding for the LEVAS Program will end with the current class of LEVAS students in 2018
- Return to top
English Language Testing Scores
The score ranges identified below are to provide a reference range for the ideal LEVAS candidates.
|TEST TYPE||SCORE RANGE|
|TOEFL (paper test)||460 - 520|
|TOEFL (computer test)||150 - 185|
|TOEFL (internet test)||50 - 66|
|IELTS||4.0 - 5.5|
2017 - 2018 Application
The application period for the 2018-2019 LEVAS class has been suspended pending program review by the Department of State. Please check back later for program updates.
Documents REQUIRED to complete the application are:
- 2017 - 2018 Application Afghan LL.M - Legal Education of Visiting Afghan Scholars (LEVAS)
- Copy of your passport
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score obtained with in the previous 12 months of the application date and reported directly to ONU from the testing facility
- 300 word essay explaining your interest in the program
- 2 Letters of recommendation attesting to your commitment to governance and law reform
- Copy of law school diploma in English
- Copy of your law school transcript in English
- An employer statement confirming your present employment (in English or translated to English)
- An up-to-date copy of your resume or curriculum vitae
We strongly encourage interested parties to gather the required documents and schedule required language proficiency testing prior to the application window to allow sufficient time to obtain the required documents. No extensions will be granted.
The 2017 - 2018 Application Afghan LL.M - Legal Education of Visiting Afghan Scholars (LEVAS) will be an interactive PDF allowing for electionic completion and submission. Adobe Acrobat will be needed to complete this document. Please click here for a free download of Adobe Acrobat.