Sebok Pharmacy Lecture Series
The Sebok Pharmacy Lecture was established by alumni and friends of the College of Pharmacy to honor Dr. Albert A. Sebok, BSPh ’53, Hon. D. ’88, one of the Raabe College of Pharmacy’s most distinguished alumni. Sebok joined Standard Drug as a store manager after graduation. In 1961, Revco acquired Standard. Under Sebok's leadership as senior vice president for store operations, Revco DrugStores Inc. became the largest discount drug chain in America. He was an original member of ONU’s Pharmacy Advisory Board and the founder and instructor of the college’s contemporary pharmacy practice class. He received an honorary doctorate from Ohio Northern in 1988.
The 2018 Sebok Pharmacy Lecture
The 2018 Sebok Pharmacy Lecture was led by Brian Douglas "Doug" Hoey, chief executive officer of the National Community Pharmacists Association (NCPA). He has spent more than 25 years working to represent community pharmacies.
The NCPA represents the owners, operators and managers of more than 23,000 pharmacy small businesses, which generate more than $80 billion of revenue in communities across the U.S. More than 50 percent of NCPA's members are in rural areas, and many others serve underserved citizens.
Hoey is a pharmacist licensed in Oklahoma, Virginia and Texas, and he practiced for five years in pharmacy small businesses, including his own family's pharmacy. While working at these local pharmacies, Hoey consulted for long-term care facilities, contributed to the pharmacies' growth into providing durable medical equipment and expanding into home infusion services. Hoey has been with the NCPA since 1996, advocating for pharmacy small business owners and helping develop programs that support local pharmacists' efforts to care for their patients and remain economically strong. In 2007, he was named the NCPA's first COO, and in 2011 he was named CEO. Additionally, for five years, Hoey developed and taught pharmacology courses at George Washington University and Marymount University.
Hoey is co-chair and chair, respectively, of the Board of Directors for health care technology companies Surescrips and Mirixa. He also is chair of the Board of Directors of the NCPA Innovation Center, co-president of the Community Pharmacy Enhanced Services Network-USA, a board member of the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum, and member of the dean's advisory boards for several schools of pharmacy.
Hoey is frequently interviewed and quoted in pharmacy trade and mainstream media publications, such as Bloomberg Businessweek, Forbes and USA Today, and local affiliates of national television and radio networks.
He earned his pharmacy degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy and his MBA from the Oklahoma City University Meinders School of Business.
Previous Sebok Lecture Speakers:
- 2017 – Larry J. Merlo, President and CEO of CVS Health
- 2016 – John Armitstead, BSPh ’79, 2015 ASHP President and System Director of Pharmacy Services at Lee Memorial Health System in Fort Myers and Cape Coral, Fla. ONU Video
- 2015 – Peggy Piascik, Ph.D, Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Science at the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy ONU Video
- 2014 – Lisa Tonrey, MHA, BPharm, PhC, FAPhA, CAPT, U.S. Public Health Service ONU Video
- 2013 – Dr. Julie A. Johnson, V. Ravi Chandran Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Florida Colleges of Pharmacy and Medicine ONU Video
- 2012 – Thomas E. Menighan, Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), ONU Video
- 2011 – Dr. Carmen A Catizone, Executive Director of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
- 2010 –Steven C. Anderson, President and CEO of the National Association of Chain Drug Stores