Dr. Kristen Finley Sobota
Prior to coming to the Raabe College of Pharmacy at Ohio Northern University (ONU) in 2007, Kristen graduated Summa Cum Laude from the West Virginia University School of Pharmacy in 2006 and was an ambulatory care pharmacy practice resident at The Ohio State University. Her clinical practice site included five community health clinics (Columbus Neighborhood Health Centers, Inc.) that served a multi-cultural and indigent population. At ONU, she is an Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice and served as the Director of Outreach Programming from 2009-2015. She currently teaches in the profession of pharmacy series, pharmacy calculations, over the counter products, physical assessment, and various community/ambulatory topics. Kristen is a Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS) and Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (CGP), and holds numerous certifications from the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) that include Medication Therapy Management (MTM), immunizations, lipids, and diabetes. She is the current co-advisor of the student organization the American Society of Consultant Pharmacists (ASCP), as well as an active member in the national ASCP professional affiliation. Her recognitions include the 2015 ONU Outstanding Pharmacy Practice Professor, the 2015 ONU Advisor of the Year, the 2014 West Virginia University School of Pharmacy Centennial Hall of Fame, the 2012 Ohio Pharmacists Association Young Pharmacist of the Year, the 2010 NACDS Community Pharmacy Faculty Award, and the 2009 ONU Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year.
Current Course Curriculum:
Second Year Profession of Pharmacy Series (POP3 and POP4)
Third Year Profession of Pharmacy (POP5)—course coordinator
Third Year Professional Pharmacy Skills I—course coordinator
Third Year Self Care and the Pharmacist (Over the Counter Medications)
Fourth Year Professional Pharmacy Skills II
Fourth Year Cardiovascular Module
Fourth Year Chronic and Ambulatory Medicine Module
Fifth Year Capstone in Pharmacy Practice Module
Sixth Year Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience Preceptor—Teaching Rotation
- Doctor of Pharmacy, West Virginia University 2006
- Pharmacy Practice Residency and Teaching Certificate, The Ohio State
- University 2007
- Registered Pharmacist, Ohio State Board of Pharmacy
- Physical Assessment in Patient Care Management
- Medication Therapy Management Certificate, APhA
- Pharmacy Based Immunization Delivery Certificate, APhA
- Pharmacy Based Lipid Management Certificate, APhA
- Pharmaceutical Care for Patients with Diabetes Certificate, APhA
- BLS Instructor and Certified, the American Heart Association
- Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (BCPS)
- Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (CGP)
- Community and ambulatory practice
- Physical assessment
- Pharmacy calculations
- ONU Outstanding Pharmacy Practice Professor (2014-15)
- ONU Advisor of the Year (2014-15)
- West Virginia University School of Pharmacy Centennial Hall of Fame (2014)
- Ohio Pharmacists Association Young Pharmacist of the Year (2012)
- NACDS Community Pharmacy Faculty Award (2010)
- ONU Kathy Karas Teaching in Innovations Award (2010)
- ONU Outstanding Faculty Member of the Year (2009)
Community or Ambulatory based research with involvement from students
- American Society of Consultant Pharmacists
- Ohio Pharmacists Association
- West Virginia University Alumni Association
- Omicron Delta Kappa
- Mortar Board
- Phi Lambda Sigma
- Rho Chi
- Kappa Psi
Sobota KF and Sobota MJ. Member Profile: American Society of Consultant Pharmacists The Consultant Pharmacist. Vol. 29, No. 12. December 2014.
Sobota KF, Blackwell J, Dye B, Kapoor K, Roediger E, Sobota MJ. Mental Health Outreach at Community Behavior Health Centers. Health, Vol. 6, No. 7 (2014) 531-540.
Ulbrich T, Metzger A, Sobota KF, McAuley J. Evaluating the Online Networking Relationships between Preceptors and Pharmacy Students. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning 5 (2013) 256-262.
Shields K, Sobota KF, Kroustos K, Bright D, North C, Kisor D. Implementation and Evaluation of a Student-Led, Online, Longitudinal Outpatient Case Elective. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning 5 (2013) 351-357.
DiPietro N, Sobota KF, Giannamore MR. Impact of Pharmacists and Student Pharmacists in Educating and Screening Low-Income Women for Cardiovascular Disease. Innovations in Pharmacy. Vol. 3, No. 2, Article 77. 2012.
Rife K, Ginty S, Hohner E, Stamper H, Sobota KF, Bright D. Remember Your MEDS: Medication Education Delivers Success. Innovations in Pharmacy. Vol. 3, No. 1. 2012. Metzger A, Finley KN, Ulbrich T, McAuley J. An Evaluation of the Pharmacy Faculty Member’s Perspective on the Student/Faculty Relationship in Online Social Networks: A Collaborative Approach between Four Ohio Colleges of Pharmacy. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. Vol. 74, Issue 10. Dec. 2010.
Finley KN, Hall LE, Giannamore M, Bennett M. Assessing the Impact of Lifestyle Modification Education on Knowledge and Behavior Changes in GERD Patients on PPI’s. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. Jul/Aug 2009;49:432-436.
Selected Poster Presentations:
Tietz D, Finley KN, Kier KL. Analysis of Patient Counseling Trends by Community Pharmacists in Ohio.
- OhioPharmacists Association Annual Meeting, April 2009; Columbus, Ohio
Rhodes E, Finley KN, Shields K. Analysis of PharmD Students’ Interest Regarding Postgraduate Pharmacy Residencies.
- Ohio Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, April 2009; Columbus, Ohio
Hartzler M, Finley KN. Analysis of Patient Education Regarding Prescription Drug Therapy in Community Pharmacies.
- American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, April 2009; San Antonio, Texas
DiPietro NA, Finley KN, Kier KL, Sullivan DL. Promoting the Role of the Pharmacist in Public Health Activities through Curricular and Co-curricular Activities.
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting, July 2008; Chicago, Illinois
Finley KN, Hall LE, Giannamore M, Bennett M. Assessing the Impact of Lifestyle Modification Education on Knowledge and Behavior Changes in GERD Patients on PPI’s.
- American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, March 2008; San Diego, California
- American Pharmacists Association Annual Meeting, March 2007; Atlanta, Georgia (preliminary results)