FSA 2011 Changes
As you begin planning for your Flexible Spending Account contributions for 2011, the following information and changes should be taken into consideration.
Important FSA Changes for 2011
Health care reform legislation passed by Congress will impact Health Care Spending Accounts beginning January 1, 2011 by reducing the number of items available for tax-free reimbursement and adding additional record-keeping requirements.
Please note that this change will affect your ability to use any remaining 2010 money in 2011.
Effective January 1, 2011, you will NO LONGER be able to use 2011 Flexible Spending Funds for over the counter drugs unless you meet the prescription requirement outlined below.
Over the Counter Medications
Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, medicines and biologicals will no longer be eligible for FSA reimbursement without a prescription from a physician. As a result, you will no longer be able use your FSA funds to purchase these items.
You may still be able to purchase the item using your Health Care FSA, but in order to be reimbursed for OTC items, the following steps must be completed:
- Obtain a prescription from the physician
- Purchase drug (s) and obtain receipt(s)
- Complete the Reimbursement Request Form
- Submit all three items to EBMC
Beginning January 1, 2011, the following items will be deleted from the eligible products list and will be reimbursed only if the three record-keeping steps outlined above have been completed.
OTC Items Affected
- Acid controllers
- Allergy & Sinus
- Antibiotic products
- Anti-Itch & Insect Bite
- Anti-Parasitic Treatments
- Baby Rash Ointments/Creams
- Cold Sore Remedies
- Cough, Cold & Flu
- Digestive Aids
- Feminine Anti-Fungal/Anti-Itch
- Hemorrhoidal Preps
- Motion Sickness
- Pain Relief
- Respiratory Treatments
- Sleep Aids & Sedatives
- Stomach Remedies
The following are examples of some OTC items that will remain available for reimbursement without a doctor's prescription:
- Band Aids, Bandages & Wraps
- Birth Control
- Contact Lens Supplies & Solutions
- Crutches, Braces & Supports
- Denture Adhesives
- Diagnostic Tests & Monitors
- First Aid Supplies
- Insulin & Diabetic Supplies
- Ostomy Products
- Reading Glasses
- Wheelchairs, Walkers, Canes
For More Information
- Contact EBMC at by phone at 1-877-304-0761 or 614-932-6374
- Or contact Human Resources at Ext. 2013