From high-profile major professional leagues and international competition to local professional and amateur events, spectator sports continue to be a popular source of entertainment worldwide. This multibillion-dollar industry offers employment opportunities in professional, collegiate and interscholastic sports, sports information, marketing, facility and arena management, recreation administration, sales, and special events. The major is designed to provide students with a foundation of skills necessary to negotiate the various settings in which students may find themselves during their professional careers.
Majors and Minors
- Bachelor of Arts – Sport Management
- Bachelor of Science – Sport Management
Distinctive Features and Objectives
- All students are required to complete a 12- week (a minimum of 450 hours) internship in the student’s chosen area of interest.
- Students participate in out-of-classroom practicum experiences and directed projects in team promotions, team management and facility management within the athletic department.
- Additional coursework in Communication Arts and The James F. Dicke College of Business Administration provides students with additional knowledge and skills relevant to the workplace.
- The department of Human Performance and Sport Sciences consists of a group of professors with diverse backgrounds, experiences and expertise in Sport Management.
- Students work side-by-side with faculty, coaches and athletics administrators on various projects, promotions and events.
- Students can participate in the organization and administration of Ohio Athletic Conference championships and NCAA championship events held in the ONU Sports Center.
The department facilities in the Sports Center include:
- Three full-size gymnasiums
- Six-lane, 200-meter indoor track
- 24-yard, six-lane swimming/diving pool
- Seven basketball courts
- Seven volleyball courts
- Three indoor tennis courts
- Dance/free exercise room
- Weight room
- Fitness room
- Wellness, fitness and testing laboratories
- Athletic training room
- Introduction to Sport Management
- Sport Marketing/Promotion
- Sociology/Psychology in Sport
- Organization and Administration in Sport
- Finance and Economics of Sport
- Ethics in Sport
- Legal Issues in Sport
- Facility/Event Managment in Sport
- Sport Management Practicum-Sport Facilities
- Sport Management Practicum-Team Promotions
- Sport Management Internship
- Senior Seminar in Sport Management
Other Required Courses
- Financial Acct. Foundations for Business Planning
- Behavioral Managment
- Sales and Customer Relationship Management
- Presentational Speaking
- Organizational Communication
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Public Relations Writing