You are here
Dr. John-David Yoder
Dr. Yoder has 20 years of experience in factory automation and robotics, both in industry and research settings. He has been recognized as a winner of the Society of Automotive Engineers Ralph Teetor Educational Award, and as a NASA Faculty Fellow. He has received grants at ONU in the areas of intelligent systems and entrepreneurship education. Dr. Yoder has served as president of two small companies. In this capacity, he worked extensively on contracts with NASA and various industrial clients.
- Chair and Professor, Mechanical Engineering, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2011-present
- On Sabbatical, 2009-2010 (Invited Professor, Inria Rhones-Alpes, Grenoble, France)
- Chair, Mechanical Engineering Department, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2007-2009, 2009-2011
- Associate Prof., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2004-2011
- Assistant Prof., Mechanical Engineering, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2001-2004
- President/Engineer, Yoder Software, Inc., 1991-Present
- Proposal Engineer/Supervisor, GROB Systems, Bluffton, OH, 1998-2001
- Computer Programming, SMI Technology, 1986-1989
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1996
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1994
- BSME, Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1991
- Intelligent Systems
- Innovation in Education, especially creativity, design, entrepreneurship, appropriate technology, and bringing practice into the classroom.
- Computer Vision
- "Long-Range Autonomous Instrument Placement," John-David Yoder and Michael Seelinger, Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Experimental Robotics (ISER 06), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 2006.
- "Automatic Visual Guidance of a Forklift Engaging a Pallet," Michael Seelinger, John-David Yoder, Robotics and Autonomous Systems, December 2006.
- "Proofreading Exercises To Improve Technical Writing in a Freshman Engineering Course," John-David Yoder, David Sawyers, John K. Estell, Laurie Laird.. Proceedings of the ASEE 2006 Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, June, 2006.
- "Providing Hands-on Experiences in a Mechanical Engineering Controls Systems Course," John-David Yoder, Juliet Hurtig, and Michael Rider, Proceedings of the ASEE 2004 Annual Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, June, 2004.
- "High-Precision Visual Control of Mobile Manipulators," Michael Seelinger, John-David Yoder, Eric T. Baumgartner, and Steven B. Skaar, IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 18, No. 6, December 2002, pp 957-965.