Dr. John K. Estell
Dr. John K. Estell is a Professor in the Electrical & Computer Engineering and Computer Science Department; from 2001 until 2010 he served as Department Chair. Dr. Estell primarily teaches first-year programming, first-year engineering, and user interface design courses. He has over 85 publications in various journals, book chapters, and conference proceedings, and is the recipient of several Best Paper awards from the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE). Dr. Estell is well-known in the assessment community for his development of the Faculty Course Assessment Report (FCAR) and its use in the student outcomes assessment process. He has presented his research in this area at several venues, including having been an invited speaker on multiple occasions at the annual ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) Symposium.
Dr. Estell serves as a Commissioner on ABET’s Computing Accreditation Commission and has been elected to serve as a Member-at-Large on the Commission’s Executive Committee effective July 2016. He also serves as a Program Evaluator for ABET’s Engineering Accreditation Commission. Dr. Estell has been professionally active with ASEE for many years; he was the Computers in Education Division’s Program Chair for both the 2011 and 2012 ASEE Annual Conferences, and from 2012-2014 served as Chair of that Division. Dr. Estell will be the First-Year Programs Division’s Program Chair for the 2017 ASEE Annual Conference, to be held in Columbus, Ohio. Dr. Estell is a founding member and currently serves as Vice President of The Pledge of the Computing Professional, an organization dedicated to the promotion of ethics in the computing professions through a standardized rite-of-passage ceremony.
- Professor, ECCS department, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2010-present
- Professor and Chair, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2006-2010
- Associate Prof. and Chair, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH, 2001-2006
- Associate Prof., Bluffton University, Bluffton, OH, 1996-2001
- Assistant Prof., The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, 1991-1996
- Teaching Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1984-1991
- PhD, Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL. 1991
- MS, Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL. 1987
- BS, Computer Science and Engineering, The University of Toledo, OH. 1984
- Introductory Programming courses
- First-Year Engineering courses
- User Interface Design
- Senior Design courses
- Best Paper Award, Third Place, First-Year Programs Division, 2015 ASEE Annual Conference, Seattle, Washington.
- Herbert F. Alter Chair of Engineering, 2011.
- Best Paper Award, Third Place, First-Year Programs Division, 2010 ASEE Annual Conference, Louisville, Kentucky.
- "Tenth Anniversary Presenter", 2008 ABET Best Assessment Processes Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Best Paper Award, First Place, Freshman Programs Division, 2007 ASEE Annual Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Best Paper Award, Design in Engineering Education Division, 2006 ASEE Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- 2005 Merl K. Miller Award for best instructional paper appearing in the ASEE Computers in Education Journal.
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2004.
- John A. Curtis Lecture Award, Computers in Education Division, 1994 ASEE Annual Conference.
- John K. Estell and David Reeping. Providing Authentic Experiences in the First Year: Designing Educational Software in Support of Service Learning Activities. 2015 ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Seattle, WA, June 2015.
- David Reeping, John K. Estell, and Kenneth Reid. Preliminary Results of a Freshmen Capstone Project to Design Educational Modules for Teachers in the Dominican Republic. 2014 Frontiers in Education Conference Proceedings, Madrid, Spain, October 2014.
- John K. Estell and Juliet K. Hurtig. Adopting Best Corporate Practices for Capstone Courses: A Case Study at Ohio Northern University. International Journal of Engineering Education, 30, no. 1 (2014): 20-30.
- John K. Estell and Juliet K. Hurtig. Adopting Best Corporate Practices for Capstone Courses. 2012 Capstone Design Conference Proceedings, Champaign, IL, June 2012.
- Kenneth J. Reid and John K. Estell. Incorporation of Poverty Alleviation in Third World Countries in a First-Year Engineering Capstone Course. International Journal of Engineering Education, 27, no. 6 (2011): 1273-1280.
- John K. Estell and Ken Christensen. The Need for a New Graduation Rite of Passage. Communications of the ACM, 54, no. 2 (2011): 113-115.
- John K. Estell. Streamlining the Assessment Process with the Faculty Course Assessment Report. International Journal of Engineering Education, 25, no. 5 (2009): 941-951.
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.