Evidence of Excellence
- Named the Private University of the Year by the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Programs.
- Ranked No. 2 among Midwest Regional Colleges by U.S. News & World Report in America’s Best Colleges 2013.
- Listed in Princeton Review’s The Best 377 Colleges 2013 Edition.
- Forbes Magazine’s list of best colleges (2012) puts Ohio Northern in the top 100 colleges in the Midwest and No. 1 in NW Ohio.
- Named in Colleges of Distinction (2013), a guide profiling America’s most distinguished teaching-centered colleges and universities.
- Ohio Northern University has been ranked 44th among Liberal Arts Colleges in the nation in the new 2012 Top Choice College Rankings by Parchment Inc. This is the first broad-based college rankings list that is based not on which college is “best,” as many other lists do, but instead on actual students’ preferences for which school is the “best fit” for them.
- Among the top 100 private four-year colleges and small universities in Peterson’s Competitive College Guide (2011).
- Listed as one of About.com’s Top Ten Ohio Colleges.
- Listed in Peterson’s Cool Colleges 101 guide.
- Alumni Factor ranks Ohio Northern as a top school.
- Ranked No. 61 nationally (2012) by Washington Monthly.
- Named a Military Friendly School (2012) by G.I. Jobs Magazine.
Evidence of Value
What is an education of value? It is one that offers rigorous academics, and allows students an unlimited number of opportunities for training, experiences and enrichment, so that after graduation there are [truly] successful outcomes! Our placement rates in all of our colleges bear this out.
- PayScale ranks Ohio Northern University among the top in the state of Ohio for its return on college investment (ROI). ROI is a function of two things: how much students spend to earn a degree, and how much graduates earn. ONU placed 252 out of 1248 (top 21 percent) institutions nationwide and 135 out of 458 private colleges (top 30 percent).
- Ohio Northern graduates rank in the top ten for median starting salary among private non-profit colleges and universities. (PayScale)
- A great education is an investment. Ohio Northern invests in the success of its students by offering more than $58 million in gift assistance as well as additional resources in the form of loans and work opportunities. We know that, to make dreams happen, it takes some investment on the part of families too.
- Our professional financial aid staff works with each and every family to make the Northern education possible. We offer an individualized approach to families of the most motivated, talented students: a combination of merit scholarship, grants and other aid.
- Ohio Northern was recognized in Princeton Review as a "Great School for Nursing Majors."
- Arts & Sciences students gave more than 70 presentations and posters at professional conferences and co-authored five scholarly articles in 2011-12.
- For eight consecutive years, Arts & Sciences students in mathematics and science have been honored by the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education program.
- Ranked as one of the top 200 programs in the nation for creative students in Creative Colleges: A Guide for Student Actors, Artists, Dancers, Musicians and Writers (2010).
- 95 percent of the nursing graduates have passed their NCLEX exam since ONU's program began. 100 percent of teacher education candidates who graduated in 2012 passed their Praxis II exam.
- Academic programs in athletic training, chemistry and biochemistry, medical laboratory science, education, exercise physiology, music, nursing and technology are nationally accredited. The exercise physiology program is the only traditional undergraduate school in the Midwest and one of only 18 undergraduate colleges in the country with this distinctive accreditation.
- AACSB International – Earned excellence; among the best business colleges in the world.
- Engineering and computer science graduates in 2012 achieved a 94 percent placement rate.
- Engineering graduates in 2012 achieved a 92 percent passage rate on the Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
- The civil, computer, electrical and mechanical engineering programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET and the computer science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org
- One of the oldest pharmacy programs in the nation and a 0-6 direct admit program that culminates in the doctor of pharmacy degree.
- Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Approved by The Ohio State Board of Pharmacy
- Membership in The American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and Council of Ohio Colleges of Pharmacy
- Recognized for innovation in its curriculum by National Jurist (2012).
- Graduates of the College of Law ranked second among students from all Ohio law schools that took the examination in July 2012 and highest among all private Ohio law schools.
- Second oldest law school in Ohio, founded in 1885 and recently celebrated its 125th anniversary by hosting the Supreme Court of Ohio for oral arguments in the Celebrezze Moot Court Room.
- Graduated first class of JD/LLM concurrent degree students in 2011, with graduate Daniel Bey earning a Fulbright Scholarship.
- Ranked No. 1 among Ohio Private Law Libraries (National Jurist, 2010).
- Opened the David C. Crago Rare Book Room a facility designed to securely hold the library's college of valuable and historic legal texts with volumes dating back to 1515.