Recognition of Excellence
- Ranked No. 6 among Midwest regional colleges by U.S. News & World Report in Best Colleges 2017.
- Featured as one of the nation’s top schools in The Princeton Review’s annual college guide, The Best 381 Colleges: 2017 Edition.
- Named one of the top-10 small colleges in the Midwest by The Wall Street Journal.
- Named in 2015-16 Colleges of Distinction.
- Ranked first in both the state of Ohio and the Great Lakes region and second in the nation by College Factual in its 2016 “Best Colleges for the Money” rankings.
- Ranked fourth in the “Best Colleges in Ohio” rankings, and in the top 10 percent nationally, in the 2015-16 PayScale College Salary Report.
- Ranked among the top schools in the nation for student tuition return on investment (ROI) in the 2015 PayScale College ROI Report.
- Ranked No. 10 by BestColleges.com in its list of “Best Colleges in Ohio.”
- Ranked among the top 50 in BestColleges.com’s national “Best Small Town Colleges” rankings.
- Named one of the nation’s best universities in terms of “value-added,” and fourth in the state of Ohio, according to a 2015 report published by a unit of the Brookings Institution.
- Ranked No. 10 by Washington Monthly on its National Universities-Bachelors List and No. 31 on its “Best Bang for Buck” Midwest list.
- Ranked No. 9 by Best Value Schools in its “30 Best Value Colleges and Universities in Ohio 2015.”
- The placement rates for graduates six months after graduation have averaged more than 94 percent for each of the past seven years, a rate higher than the national average.
The Ohio Northern Promise
The Ohio Northern Promise is a set of initiatives to make an ONU education more affordable, to reduce student loan debt, to sustain academic quality, and to prepare students for career success. Simply put, it is about ensuring that higher education, historically a key enabler of social mobility, remains accessible and affordable for bright young students and their families.
Key components of The Ohio Northern Promise
- A four-year graduation guarantee*
- Hands-on high-impact learning, a core component of every academic major
- Sustained job placement and graduate and professional school admissions rates for graduates
- 20-25 percent reduction in tuition rates (based on 2013-14 rates)
*Available across most undergraduate programs
Evidence of Value
What is an education of value? It is one that offers rigorous academics and allows students an unlimited number of opportunities for training, experiences and enrichment, so that after graduation there are truly successful outcomes! Our placement rates in all of our colleges bear this out.
- PayScale ranks Ohio Northern University among the top three private universities, and in the top six overall in the state of Ohio, for its return on college investment (ROI). ROI is a function of two things: how much students spend to earn a degree, and how much graduates earn. ONU placed 282nd (113th for private universities) out of 1,330 institutions nationwide.
- Ohio Northern graduates rank in the top 20 percent for median starting salary among private nonprofit colleges and universities in the Midwest region (PayScale).
- A great education is an investment. Ohio Northern invests in the success of its students by offering more than $45 million in gift assistance as well as additional resources in the form of loans and work opportunities. We know that, to make dreams happen, it takes some investment on the part of families, too.
- Our professional financial aid staff works with each and every family to make a Northern education possible. We offer an individualized approach to families of the most motivated, talented students: a combination of merit scholarship, grants and other aid.
- Arts & Sciences students gave more than 80 presentations and posters at professional conferences and co-authored five scholarly articles.
- 13 Arts & Sciences students in mathematics and science have been honored by the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education program over the last 10 years.
- Ranked as one of the top 200 programs in the nation for creative students in Creative Colleges: A Guide for Student Actors, Artists, Dancers, Musicians and Writers.
- Ohio Northern was recognized by The Princeton Review as a “Great School for Nursing Majors.”
- Academic programs in athletic training, chemistry and biochemistry, education, exercise physiology, medical laboratory science, music, nursing, and technology are nationally accredited. The exercise physiology program is the only traditional undergraduate school in the Midwest and one of only 18 undergraduate colleges in the country with this distinctive accreditation.
- 90 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or graduate school within six months of graduation (2016).
- AACSB International Accreditation – Earned excellence; among the best business colleges in the world, fewer than five percent of 16,000 business schools worldwide have earned this symbol of excellence in education.
- Ranked No. 45 in the nation for undergraduate business programs by Bloomberg Businessweek. “A” rating for teacher quality
- 100 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or graduate school within six months of graduation (2016).
- 97 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or graduate school within six months of graduation (2016).
- Ranked No. 31 in the nation for undergraduate engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Student design teams successfully compete on a national basis.
- The civil, computer, electrical, and mechanical engineering programs and engineering education are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, and the computer science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- ONU’s degree program in engineering education is the first of its kind in Ohio and one of the first in the nation. This four-year engineering degree prepares graduates to become licensed secondary math teachers but with a more specialized perspective than teachers who have a traditional education diploma.
- Founded in 1884, ONU is the one of the oldest pharmacy programs in the nation and one of only seven direct-entry programs in the country.
- Offers students a 0-6 direct admit program experience that culminates in the doctor of pharmacy degree.
- Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.
- Membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and Council of Ohio Colleges of Pharmacy.
- 98 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or residency programs within six months of graduation (2016).
- Graduates have consistently averaged a 98 percent passage rate for pharmacy state board exams.
- Sixth-year pharmacy students match in residence programs at a rate higher than the national average.
- Student organizations recognized nationally.
- Founded in 1885, ONU Law is the second oldest law school in Ohio.
- Recognized for innovation in its curriculum by The National Jurist.
- Ninth in the nation for placement in government and public interest legal jobs – The National Law Journal
- 12 high-impact guaranteed clinical placement programs and nine areas of specialization.
- Two unique concurrent programs focused in international law and tax law.