- Mission, Vision & Core Values
- ONU 2021
- History of ONU
- About Ada
- Board of Trustees
- Community Relations
- Emergency Information
- Academic Calendar Overview
- FERPA information
- HEOA Student Consumer Information
- Just the Facts
- Maps and Directions
- Campus and Facilities
- Offices & Services
You are here
Evidence of Excellence
- Named the Private University of the Year by the Washington Center for Internships and Academic Programs.
- Ranked No. 2 among Midwest regional colleges by U.S. News & World Report in Best Colleges 2015.
- Featured as one of the nation’s top schools in The Princeton Review’s annual college guide, The Best 379 Colleges: 2015 Edition. ONU also is one of the 153 institutions that The Princeton Review recommends in the “Best of the Midwest” section of its website feature, 2014 Best Colleges by Region.
- Ranked No. 38 nationally (2014) by Washington Monthly.
- Named in 2014-15 Colleges of Distinction, a guide profiling America’s most distinguished teaching-centered colleges and universities.
- Ranked No. 44 in the 2012 Top Choice College Rankings: Liberal Arts Colleges by Parchment Inc. This is the first broad-based college rankings list to be based not on which college is “best,” as many other lists are, but instead on actual students’ preferences for which school is the “best fit” for them.
- Ranked third among private schools and sixth overall in the state of Ohio for its students’ greatest lifetime return on investment (ROI) according to the “2014 PayScale College ROI Report.”
- Ranked third among the top schools in the state of Ohio according to Luminosity’s ranking of America’s Smartest Colleges.
- The placement rates for graduates six months after graduation have averaged more than 94 percent for each of the past seven years, a rate higher than the national average.
The Ohio Northern Promise
The Ohio Northern Promise is a set of initiatives to make an ONU education more affordable, to reduce student loan debt, to sustain academic quality, and to prepare students for career success. Simply put, it is about ensuring that higher education, historically a key enabler of social mobility, remains accessible and affordable for bright young students and their families.
Key components of The Ohio Northern Promise
- 20-25 percent reduction in tuition rates (based on 2013-14 rates)
- A four-year graduation guarantee*
- Hands-on high-impact learning, a core component of every academic major
- Sustained job placement and graduate and professional school admissions rates for graduates
*Available across most undergraduate programs
Evidence of Value
What is an education of value? It is one that offers rigorous academics, and allows students an unlimited number of opportunities for training, experiences and enrichment, so that after graduation there are [truly] successful outcomes! Our placement rates in all of our colleges bear this out.
- PayScale ranks Ohio Northern University among the top three private universities, and in the top six overall in the state of Ohio for its return on college investment (ROI). ROI is a function of two things: how much students spend to earn a degree, and how much graduates earn. ONU placed 282nd (113th for private universities) out of 1,330 institutions nationwide.
- Ohio Northern graduates rank in the top 20 percent for median starting salary among private nonprofit colleges and universities in the Midwest region. (PayScale)
- A great education is an investment. Ohio Northern invests in the success of its students by offering more than $45 million in gift assistance as well as additional resources in the form of loans and work opportunities. We know that, to make dreams happen, it takes some investment on the part of families, too.
- Our professional financial aid staff works with each and every family to make a Northern education possible. We offer an individualized approach to families of the most motivated, talented students: a combination of merit scholarship, grants and other aid.
- Arts & Sciences students gave more than 70 presentations and posters at professional conferences and co-authored five scholarly articles in 2011-12.
- 13 Arts & Sciences students in mathematics and science have been honored by the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education program over the last nine years.
- Ranked as one of the top 200 programs in the nation for creative students in Creative Colleges: A Guide for Student Actors, Artists, Dancers, Musicians and Writers.
- Ohio Northern was recognized by The Princeton Review as a “Great School for Nursing Majors.”
- 94 percent of the nursing graduates have passed the NCLEX exam since ONU’s program began.
- 100 percent of the teacher education candidates who graduated in 2012 passed the 2011-12 Praxis II exam; this is the most recent year for which data is available from the state.
- Academic programs in athletic training, chemistry and biochemistry, education, exercise physiology, medical laboratory science, music, nursing, and technology are nationally accredited. The exercise physiology program is the only traditional undergraduate school in the Midwest and one of only 18 undergraduate colleges in the country with this distinctive accreditation.
- Consistently averaged a 91 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or graduate school within six months of graduation for the last five years (through 2013).
- AACSB International Accreditation – Earned excellence; among the best business colleges in the world, fewer than 5 percent of 16,000 business schools worldwide have earned this symbol of excellence in education.
- Ranked No. 72 in the nation for undergraduate business programs by Bloomberg Businessweek. “A” rating for teacher quality
- Consistently averaged a 92 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or graduate school within six months of graduation for the last five years (through 2014).
- Students successfully compete in national competitions:
- 2014 ONU chapter of the Society for the Advancement of Management won third place in the Student Case Competition during the organization’s international business conference
- 2014 ONU American Marketing Association chapter placed first in a business simulation competition at the AMA international meeting
- 2014 IMA Institute of Management Accountants awarded a gold-level award, the highest-level chapter award granted, for their work on a video case competition and their chapter excellence.
- 2013-14 ONU’s ΒΑΨ Chapter qualified as premiere chapter, a designation based on the level and quality of the club’s activities.
- 2013-14 ONU’s ΒΓΣ Chapter qualified as a premiere chapter, a designation based on the level and quality of the club’s activities.
- 93 percent average placement rate for graduates into jobs or graduate school within six months of graduation for the last five years (through 2014).
- 88 percent average passage rate on the Fundamentals of Engineering exam for the last five years.
- Ranked No. 41 in the nation for undergraduate engineering programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Student design teams successfully compete on a national basis, including:
- Baja SAE team placed third in North America during the 2013 Baja SAE Collegiate Design Series
- Concrete Canoe Team was one one of 22 North American teams to compete in the 2013 National Concrete Canoe Competition
- Robotic football team beat the University of Notre Dame by a score of 26-7 in the 2014 Robotic Football Challenge
- The civil, computer, electrical and mechanical engineering programs are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, and the computer science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
- ONU’s degree program in engineering education is the first of its kind in Ohio and one of the first in the nation. This four-year engineering degree prepares graduates to become licensed secondary math teachers but with a more specialized perspective than teachers who have a traditional education diploma.
- One of the oldest pharmacy programs in the nation and a 0-6 direct admit program that culminates in the doctor of pharmacy degree.
- Accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.
- Membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy and Council of Ohio Colleges of Pharmacy.
- Consistently averaged a 99 percent placement rate for graduates into jobs or residency programs within six months of graduation for the last five years (through 2013).
- Graduates have consistently averaged a 98 percent passage rate for pharmacy state board exams.
- Student organizations recognized nationally:
- Kappa Epsilon Continued Excellence Award (2013)
- Kappa Psi Best Chapter of Great Lakes region (2013)
- Student National Pharmacists Association third place national poster (2013)
- National Community Pharmacists Association Legislative Chapter of the Year (2012)
- APhA runner-up National Generation Rx Award (2012)
- AMCP Elite 8 (National P&T Competition) (2009, 2010, 2013)
- No. 1 in Ohio for JD-required, full-time, job placement for the class of 2013
- No. 1 in Ohio for overall bar passage (three-year average percentage) and 90 percent three-year average for Ohio first-time bar passage.
- One of six private law schools in the nation named to the 2014 Best Value Law School list by the preLaw Magazine.
- Top in the nation for practical training and experiential learning, preLaw Magazine (2014)
- Founded in 1885, ONU Law is the second oldest law school in Ohio and will soon celebrate 130 years of preparing students for the legal profession.
- Recognized for innovation in its curriculum by The National Jurist (2012)
- Ninth in the nation for placement in government and public interest legal jobs – The National Law Journal
- Eleven high-impact guaranteed clinical placement programs and nine areas of specialization
- Two unique concurrent programs focused in International Law and Tax Law