Skip To Main Content

Advisee FAQ's

Advisee Frequently Asked Questions

I got a "D" in Chem 172. Can I go on to Chem 173? Can I go on to Organic or do I have to make up the "D"?
You must get a "C" or better in all required science/math courses, so you must repeat Chem 172. You may go on to Chem 173 and repeat 172 in the summer. You may NOT go on to Organic Chemistry without completing 171, 172, and 173 successfully. ONU offers a "trailer" course in both General and Organic Chemistry, however only the third quarter is available here during the summer. You may apply to take a Chemistry course at another school, but that school must be "ACS (American Chemical Society) Accredited".

Do I have a lab with Physiology?
No. The BioScience Labs I & II provide for this laboratory experience.

Can I take BioStats I & II any time?
No. BioStatistics I (STAT156) is offered during Winter Quarter only and BioStatistics II (STAT256) is offered during Spring Quarter. It is suggested that both be taken in the second (P-2) year.

How many hours can I take before I have to pay more tuition?
At a minimum of 12 hours, I am a full-time student. I may take up to 19 hours without additional charge (20 if the extra hour is an activity, course, sports, music, etc.). After 20 hours, the tuition charge is based on 75% of the normal hourly rate.

I only need one General Education course to complete my P-3 year but none will fit into my schedule, what do I do?
See you advisor about getting an overload for a course that you need (overloads are issued by the instructor for that course). If this is not a solution, check with Pharmacy Student Services about taking the course over the summer by traditional means or through distance learning. Remember that all 12 General Education courses MUST be completed before you can start your P-4 year.

How many AP credits can I get from high school?
College credit will be issued by Ohio Northern University for AP work in high school based on the AP examination score. There is 45 hour limit and eligibility as outlined on the ONU Registrar's home page. Students have the opportunity to accept this credit or deny it and take the course at ONU.

How can I find out what are Non-Western Culture courses?
Go to page 51 in the University Catalog for a current listing. Note that not every course is taught every quarter or every year. Plan to take your non-western course in your second year so you don't get backed into a corner!

How do I get an overload into a class that is full?
Once class registration is at the pre-set capacity, no further students will be registered. In order to get in this class, you must get permission from that course's instructor. This permission is an overload slip which will give you permission to register. It is not always possible to get an overload due to physical space limitations.

Why are courses listed on the web but the class limit is set at zero?
These courses may not be offered that quarter without sufficient interest OR permission of the instructor is necessary for each student to be registered (i.e. a senior seminar course in a particular major). Sometimes (Western Civ), the section is created and then not opened until all others are full and the need has been demonstrated for more space.

Is my Advisor the only person that can sign an add/drop slip?
You should see your advisor when adding or dropping a course so that they can make sure you on still on track with your academic plan. If your Advisor is not available, you can check with the Associate Dean or Assistant Dean.

What is the average number of hours I need each quarter in order to graduate?
You must complete 324 hrs in order to qualify for your degree. Over six years and 18 quarters, this would be an average of 18hrs per quarter, assuming no repeated courses and no summer/AP/PSEO work.

How do I get approval to transfer a course from another school?
You are welcome to take required courses at other accredited institutions. Chemistry must be taken at an ACS Accredited school. You must first get the course approved by completing a Transient Request Form and attaching a syllabus from the requested course. Forms are available on the Registrar's Web Page under Transfer Credit or in the Pharmacy Student Services Office. The Registrar has a lit of many courses approved for transfer from a variety of other institutions. This is not an inclusive list and may not have updated course numbers. Even if your course is on this list - you still need an approved Transient Request Form.

How do I change my major?
If you are planning to leave or enter pharmacy, you will need to see your Advisor, and then get the signature of the Dean, Associate Dean, or Assistant Dean on a Change of College form. You will complete a Change of Major when you visit the Dean's office at the College you will be entering. If you are planning to enter another College, you will need to be accepted by that program.

How do I add a Major or a Minor to my pharmacy degree program?
Start by visiting your Advisor to determine the space available in your program for additional courses. The earlier you begin this process, the better. Your required 22 hrs of electives could be used toward the Minor or Major. You should then meet with the Dept. Chair of the major/minor area of interest in order to see if your goal is a workable plan. If possible, both your Advisor and the Dept. Chair could meet together with you to work out the curricular plan. You must complete a Declaration of Major/Minor form, have it signed, and turn it in to the Registrar.

If I register on-line, why do I still need my Advisor's signature?
You still need your Advisor's signature on the Course Request form as a protection that you are taking courses appropriate to your degree plan. If for some reason, you DO need to go to the Registrar's Office to complete registration; you will have to have your Advisor's signature.

How do I go about finding a faculty member for independent study or a research experience?
You should probably start by getting your Advisor's recommendation. After that, it pretty much amounts to knocking on doors' to find a faculty member who matches up with your interests and time availability.

When should I drop a course if I am not doing well?
The University permits you to drop a course up until the end of the 6th or 7th week of the Qtr. This date is listed on the University Calendar and on the Registrar's web page. This time frame means that you have usually completed the mid-term examination and should have a pretty good idea of where you stand. First check with your professor and get their recommendation, then see your Advisor.

How do I get Tutoring help?
The College of Pharmacy operates a Tutoring Center in Room 212 on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6-9pm. Pharmacy Student Services maintains a list of qualified tutors for one-on-one assistance in case the Mon-Weds time schedule does not work for you. The College of Arts and Sciences runs a number of tutoring sessions for all of their courses. This schedule is posted in all buildings and available on the students section of the Pharmacy web site under Tutoring.

What about this test in POP9?
There is a comprehensive test given in Profession of Pharmacy 303 (POP9) that covers all nine POP courses. You MUST pass this test before moving to your P-4 year. You will have two chances to pass.

When can I get my Pharmacy Intern license?
Each state has its own regulations with regard to an Intern's License (Illinois does not have one!). Check with the State Board of Pharmacy in the state you are planning to work there is a list of State Board contact information in your Pharmacy Student Handbook. If your state is Ohio, you will be eligible to apply after you have completed 90 quarter hours which is typically after Winter Quarter of your P-2 year. Pharmacy Student Services has the forms and will assist you with completion.

How do I get a work-study job?
First, you must be eligible through Financial Aid for a work-study position. Next, go to the Financial Aid web site and look under Need a Job? This page lists campus departments that have openings contact them if you are interested.

How do I change my Academic Advisor?
You will need to find a new Advisor and then inquire if that faculty member will accept you as an advisee. If they will, go to Pharmacy Student Services and they will change your Advisor and make sure your advising file is moved to the new Advisor.

Do I have to have my 22 hours of electives done before I can become a P-4?
No. You have to have your 22 hrs of electives done prior to your P-6 year. It is a good idea to have at least 12-14 hrs completed by the end of your P-3 year. There is built in space during Spring Quarter of your P-5 year to take up to 10 hours of electives.

Can I accelerate my program to five years? The College has an "acceleration policy". You must first present your plan to accelerate to your academic advisor. After gaining their approval, the plan must be presented to the Assistant Dean for Student Services. If approved by the Assistant Dean, the plan will be presented to the Faculty Committee on Student Affairs. They will approve or deny the request based on available space in the class requested and their review and approval of the curricular plan.