Skip To Main Content

FERPA and your student

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gave you and your student rights to access your student's educational records while they were enrolled in primary and secondary education schools. Education records include grades, finances, and discipline records. Now that your student is in college, these same laws transfer ownership of the records directly to your student. According to FERPA, college students are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. While parents understandably have an interest in a student's academic progress, they are not automatically granted access to a student's records without written consent of the student. Parents are encouraged to consult with the student if academic information is needed. We welcome parent and family support, and depending on which office is trying to assist you, there are procedures in place for your student to give permission for a third party to access his or her records. Much of this is covered during summer orientation, but a quick summary follows:

For matters pertaining to financial aid and scholarships, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 419-772-2272. Your student must have completed and signed a FERPA release form specific to this office.

If you have a billing, payment, or refund question, you should contact the bursar staff in the Controller’s Office at 419-772-2010. ONU sends out billing information via our electronic website portal of Self-Service Banner. Each student has their own username and password for Self-Service Banner, and the student can authorize additional users who can then view the billing and payment information within Self-Service Banner. The bursar staff is able to discuss account information with authorized users only.

It is common for a parent to want to know how their student is performing in academic coursework. Students can log in to the electronic portal of Self-Service Banner and show their parents an unofficial transcript with the course grading information. If a parent would want to discuss topics pertaining to academic performance, major requirements, internships, or graduation, please contact the appropriate college dean’s office. That office may refer you to a department chair or faculty adviser as well, depending on the situation. There is a specific FERPA form designed for academic purposes that your student must sign, which is kept in the student’s file in the dean’s office.

The registrar’s office maintains the academic enrollment records for all our students and often fulfills transcript requests and enrollment verification to third-parties such as insurance carriers and scholarship providers. Unlike other offices on campus, there is not a single FERPA form that we use in this office to release information. For each action requested by the student, there is a form associated with that task which authorizes Ohio Northern to release the information. Students can complete many of these forms via the electronic portal of Self-Service Banner, thus eliminating the need to come to the registrar’s office in person. Questions about the forms and services provided by the registrar’s office should be directed to 419-772-2024

As a general rule, the University will not contact a parent about academic, financial, or discipline matters. We trust your student will share that information as appropriate. However, if the health of your student is in serious jeopardy, or if there is a concern that a student poses a threat to themself or to someone else, the University will contact you. If you have any questions about FERPA and your student, please contact Dr. Julie Hurtig, associate vice president for academic affairs at 419-772-2032.


College of Arts and Sciences: 419-772-3566

College of Business Administration: 419-772-2070

College of Engineering: 419-772-2371

College of Pharmacy: 419-772-2275

Office of the Registrar – Forms and Links for Students