H.S. Chemistry Teacher Workshop
ONU’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry will again host a rewarding five-day workshop (June 13-17, 2016) specifically designed to provide high school chemistry teachers with a unique professional development opportunity.
The residential workshop features lecture, laboratory and networking time:
- Use a Vernier spectrophotometer and Vernier probes
- Conduct associated laboratory exercises
- Modify and troubleshoot existing protocols
- Participate in discussion sessions
- Receive a Vernier instrument for use in your home educational institution
- Join specialized breakout seminar/laboratory periods
The program also provides:
- Assistance of a faculty mentor in developing individualized workshop goals
- Access to additional Vernier equipment for classroom use
- Follow-up and support during the 2016-17 academic year
All Ohio teachers who teach at least one high school course in chemistry are invited to apply. Applications are due by March 15.
All accepted teachers will attend the workshop free of charge and will receive housing, travel reimbursement, a $30 per day stipend and a Vernier scientific instrument.
Schedule and Accommodations
Click here for a draft schedule for the 2016 workshop (a draft of the 2016 schedule we be available in due course). Participants will stay in the University Terrace Apartments. These on-campus accommodations are air-conditioned and include wireless Internet, linens, common/living areas, kitchens and private baths.
To receive important information regarding this opportunity, subscribe to our Listserve by emailing email@example.com with the following line in the body of the message: SUBscribe firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are now being accepted (see below) and they will close on March 15, 2016. The bulk of the application involves a short statement (250-500 words, 1-2 pages) where you should describe why you are interested in attending this Chemistry Teacher Workshop, how it will contribute towards your professional goals, and how it will benefit your chemistry program. Please include specific goals which demonstrate how participation in the workshop will benefit students in your program.