Skip To Main Content

Education Professor Awarded Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program Grant

Apr 16, 2010

Dr. Sandra CrosserDr. Sandra Crosser, professor of education in Ohio Northern University’s Center for Teacher Education (CTE), has been awarded a Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program grant to fund a short-term curriculum development project titled “South Africa: Perspectives on Democracy.” Provided by the U.S. Department of Education, the grant totals $88,440.

Crosser will lead four area K-12 teachers, four teacher candidates from ONU’s CTE, and six ONU faculty members in an exploration of the emerging democracy in South Africa. During the four-week program, participants will learn about the culture, political history, language and literature of South Africa with an emphasis on the Mpumalanga Province, where several CTE faculty have been involved in outreach activities for the past three years.

“The concept of democracy will be the thread that is woven through the entire fabric of the experience,” Crosser said. “South Africa is ripe for this type of study, as its emergent democracy status provides parallels permitting deeper understanding of our own and other democracies, both emerging and mature, across the globe.”

The end product will be the creation of curriculum packages for use at different levels of education. The grant covers 55.5 percent of the total project cost. ONU’s in-kind and direct costs related to the project are $58,679, and the total participant fees are $12,441, which make up the remaining 44.5 percent of the cost.

Learn more about the Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program


Related Northern News
Latest Video
Latest Photo Feature