A Celebration of Scholarship and Achievement
Throughout its history, Ohio Northern University has fostered a tradition of involving undergraduate students in scholarship and research. Students from the department of art & design have presented their work from classes, independent studies and research projects in local and national venues.
Held this past Saturday, Honors Day recognized outstanding students in high-level of scholarship, service and accomplishment to the University community. A highlight of the art & design program included the Kappa Pi induction ceremony, awards presentation and a picnic with family and friends.
This year, Andrew Adams, a freshman graphic design major from Hudson, Ohio, was inducted into Kappa Pi. Andrew has maintained a high level of scholarship, met the organization’s standards, and has been involved in various extracurricular activities including the AIGA/ONU chapter.
Kappa Pi, founded in 1911 at the University of Kentucky, is an international art honorary. Over 165 chapters have been installed in the United States and abroad. Its main purpose is to form bodies of students who will uphold the highest ideals of a liberal education; to raise the standards of productive artistic work among students; to furnish the highest reward for conscientious effort in furthering the best interest of art in the broadest sense of the term.
About 10 A&D students received awards for overall academic achievement or outstanding performance within their major and academic work. Two of the awards were established by or in memory of an ONU alumna.
“It is important that we come together during this annual University tradition to celebrate student achievement,” said Brit Rowe, department of art & design chair. “It’s a time to celebrate students’ achievements and for the faculty and staff to thank our student leaders. It also provides our students a moment to consider not just what they have achieved but what they want to become.”
The following A&D majors earned scholarships and other recognition on Honors Day:
Student Scholarship Recognition
• Katelyn Amendolara, sophomore graphic design major, research paper and project presented at “Minds at Work” student research conference
• Andrew Steingass, senior art/studio arts major, AICUO Award for Excellence in the Visual Arts
• Margaret Schmidt, senior art/graphic design major, internship at the Wexner Center for the Arts
• David Herring, senior art/graphic design major, 1st place award in the black and white category of ArtSpace/Lima’s Photography Juried Exhibition
• Stephanie Rader, senior art/art education major, 3rd place award in the Kappa Pi International Art Honorary scholarship competition
• Jeff Gibbons, sophomore art/studio arts major, accepted into The Center for Cartoon Studies
University Class Honors (highest class GPA)
• Bethany Schreck, sophomore class
• Emily Jay, junior class
Art Department Service Awards
• Matthew Glove, sophomore graphic design major
• Andrew Steingass, senior art/studio arts major
Kappa Pi Service Award
• Stephanie Rader, senior art/art education major
AIGA Leadership Award
• Arnaldo Jimenez, senior graphic design major
• Margaret Schmidt, senior graphic design major
Senior Department Honors
• Art Education: Stephanie Rader
• Studio Arts: Andrew Steingass
• Graphic Design: Margaret Schmidt
Shelly C. Petrillo Scholarship Awards
• Junior: Bethany Schreck
• Senior: Emily Jay
See photos from the department of art & design's Honors Day program.