Volunteer/Guest Lecturer Information
Volunteer/Guest Lecturer Information
All ONU volunteers and/or guests (lecturers, drivers, contractors, etc.) need to complete the Volunteer/Guest Lecturer Information Form prior to performing any work on campus. Upon submission of the form, HR will reach out to the volunteer/guest and supervising department if further information is required.
It is important to funnel all information through the Office of Human Resources for tracking purposes. We will then get you on the correct path to ensure compliance!
Volunteer/Guest Lecturer Packet
Do club volunteers need to be cleared by HR?
- Perhaps. This depends on the nature of the volunteer work:
- Is the volunteer working with minors without supervision?
- Is the volunteer working for a long period of time (longer than one week)?
- For example, Ada Friends is an on-going activity and all volunteers are run through HR for background checks as they will be working with minors without supervision.
When a speaker comes to talk with students in a class, would this qualify as a “volunteer”?
- Yes, all guest speakers are considered volunteers and should complete the online Volunteer/Guest Visitor Information Form found on the HR website. Please note, the Dean and Academic Affairs need to review and approve all volunteers who participate in a classroom.
How are alums or industry reps on campus to speak to classes handled? How does one submit info to HR regarding volunteer and paid speakers in the classrooms? Is there a form?
- Yes, alums or industry reps who come to campus to speak to a class are considered volunteers and should complete the online Volunteer/Guest Visitor Information Form found on the HR website. Please note, the Dean and Academic Affairs need to review and approve all volunteers who participate in a classroom.
For camps that utilize volunteer faculty and volunteer individuals in the community to work with high school aged students, what is the process? Will the volunteers be required to have background checks?
- HR needs to be informed of all volunteers on campus. Each individual needs to submit the Volunteer/Guest Visitor Information Form found on the HR website. If a volunteer is working with minors without supervision, they will be required to take a background check initiated by the HR Office. These individuals would also need to go through university trainings such as sexual harassment and Title IV. Current university employees will need current background checks run every two years when they participate in camps and are working with minors.
How are Grant employment or payments handled?
- Grant PIs need to work with HR on all hiring needs to ensure compliance.
How are "Shared Faculty" handled?
- All Shared Faculty agreements need to be reviewed and approved by the Dean and Academic Affairs. This process is outlined in the faculty handbook. HR will receive copies of all Shared Faculty agreements for record.
How do you handle students who volunteer their time to work in labs?
- Students who volunteer their time to work in labs do not need to be processed as a volunteer through HR.
How are affiliation agreements handled? Ex. Athletic Training, Pharmacy and Nursing agreements, etc.
- Depending on the department or office, affiliation agreements need to be vetted by leadership. For example, all academic college agreements should be processed and reviewed by the Dean and Academic Affairs. HR should receive copies of all affiliation agreements for record.
How do you handle a faculty or staff member driving to pick up a student from the airport?
- If a faculty or staff member is driving to pick up a student and is using their own vehicle, this would be paid mileage through Accounts Payable. Travel Voucher Forms are available on the Controller’s Office website for processing. If the individual is volunteering their time, no form is needed. If the individual is planning to drive an ONU vehicle, they must be approved by the Office of Public Safety.
Lehr Memorial Building: Room 154
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.