Pledge of the Computing Professional
The Order of the Computer Scientist was initiated as a group discussion of the Ohio Northern University’s Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) members. The Order represents a milestone in the Computer Science education and signifies the commitment to scholarship, leadership and ethics. The Order is open to all present and past computer science graduates and faculty.
The Order of the Computer Scientist is not a membership organization; there are no meetings to attend or dues to pay. Instead, the Order fosters a unity of purpose and the honoring of one’s pledge lifelong.
The inaugural ceremony for the Order of the Computer Scientist was held May 5, 2007 during the ONU Honors Day ceremony.
As a Computer Scientist, I take great pride in my profession. I will strive to achieve the highest quality, effectiveness and dignity in both the process and products of professional work. I will perform the following to uphold my membership:
- Scholarship: I will continue to advance with the technology
- Leadership: I will lead the development of the latest technology
- Ethic: I will be honest and trustworthy, and contribute to the well-being of society. I will honor and respect the intellectual property of others.
The following persons are eligible for membership in the Order:
- Graduates in Computer Science
- Graduating Seniors in Computer Science curricula
- Faculty in Computer Science curricula
- Special individuals, who by reason of education, eminence, or experience are deemed worthy of the Order
A glass paperweight in the form of a Zero and One is used as the symbol for the Order. The Zero and One are the historical symbols that make up the binary character set. This paperweight will sit on the desk and constantly remind the recipient of their obligations as they perform their daily work. The circle of the Zero represents the link between all Computer Scientists in the world and promotes the unity of the discipline. The One signifies the unity of purpose of the Order, the united effort to promote and uphold the obligation of the field. In a similar nature, the One is the symbol of Truth that is basic to the strength of the Order.
Lori GoldsmithExecutive Administrative Assistant
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.