Using digital cameras and Adobe Photoshop, students learn about angles, lighting, perspective and background from a photojournalist’s point of view. Each day, student photographs are examined and critiqued, and the subsequent discussion focuses on what works and what needs improvement. As the week progresses, each student builds a portfolio of their work. A public art exhibit is held on the final day of the camp.
What to bring
There are always questions about what to bring to an overnight or week long activity. Here are some suggestions. You will be working in the laboratory. Stable closed toe shoes are required for the laboratory work. You should wear comfortable clothing for these activities. You may want to wear long sleeved shirts. Disposable gloves will be provided. Long hair should be tied back. You will want to bring a small amount of spending money since the university bookstore is usually open. You can bring along some of your favorite snacks although there are vending machines located on campus. A local grocery store and a Rite Aid are available for unplanned essentials. Bring a cell phone or calling card to make long-distance calls, since Ada sometimes has poor reception for cell phones for such carriers as AT&T and Nextel. If you have a camera you may want to bring it. There are picture perfect events all week long. The dorms are lockable and secure so you should be able to bring normal things such as clock radios, small CD players, or alarm clocks. If medication needs to be dispensed, the SHI director will make appropriate arrangements.
List of essentials aside from normal everyday apparel.
- Alarm clock
- Soap, comb/brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc.
- Insect repellent – DEET-based works best, Off Brand, pump instead of aerosol
- Ball Cap
- Extra socks
- A pair of long jeans or slacks
- Shorts, shirts or blouses
- One nice outfit (khaki slacks/polo shirt) for presentation
- Sweatshirt/jacket (classrooms are air conditioned and can be cool)
- Rain gear
- Comfortable shoes, closed toed shoes, shoes to be worn in the gym
- Swimwear, Beach towel
- Flashlight with new batteries
- If you anticipate washing clothes, bring along a small container of clothes detergent and quarters for the washing machines
- Single extra long bedsheets, pillow, and blanket
What you do NOT have to bring?
Towels are provided. There will be snacks and bottled water provided during the day and evening. Do not bring candles or incense, TV, dart board, draperies, drum set, electric guitars, electric blankets, fireworks, fish net wall hangings, flags, firearms, halogen lamps, hot plates, microwave ovens, pets such as snakes, spiders, lizards, cats, dogs, birds and fish, sunlamps, heat lamps and space heaters, toaster ovens, valuables, water beds, and weights.