Starting a business:
- First, register with the Ohio Secretary of State.
- Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- Open a bank account.
- Register with the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- Report Newly Hired and Re-Hired Employees to the Ohio New Hire Reporting Center.
- Contact the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation.
- Contact the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.
- Finally, obtain the proper licenses and permits.
- The Ohio Business Gateway’s, Licenses and Permits page provides a list of professional licenses and business permits necessary to do business in Ohio. Contact your county and local government to determine if any special requirements exist for your type of business.
- More resources are available online through ONU's Heterick Memorial Library.
Connect with ONU: