Skip To Main Content

Social Security Numbers

How to Apply for a Social Security Number

In order to be eligible to work, and to get paid, you must have a social security number. First step is to obtain a Verification of Employment letter from your supervisor in the office/department in which you're working. This is a sample Verification of Employment letter. F-1 students, you should then schedule an appointment with International Services and bring the Verification of Employment letter. International Services will write you a Work Eligibility Letter. 
J-1 students, you will need to obtain a Work Eligibility Letter from your sponsoring agency or whomever signs your DS-2019.

You can apply for a SSN no earlier than 30 days before your employment start date.

  • Gather the following documents:
    • Completed Social Security Number application form (SS-5) This is a link to the form:
    • Verification of Employment letter from supervisor
    • Work Eligibility letter from Omega Hollies
    • Passport & Visa
    • I-94, printed from this website
    • All I-20's or DS-2019s
  • Take all the above documents to the Lima branch of the Social Security Office.
    • Their office is open Monday-Friday (9:00am-3:00pm) except Wednesdays (9:00am - 12:00pm) and is located at:

      401 West North Street

      Lima, OH 45801


Polar Careers

Anne Niese

Fax: 419-772-2007
McIntosh: Room 220
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Monday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed