Pre-licensure BSN Nursing Program
Application Components and Admission Criteria
Students must apply to the University, submit ACT or SAT scores, and request that an official transcript be sent from the high school(s) of graduation; GED scores may take the place of the high school transcript. Applications are processed when all application materials, test scores, and transcripts have been received. On the application, students should list Nursing as their area of interest. Measures of academic performance (GPA, class rank, standardized tests), recommendations, participation in community and extra-curricular activity, hobbies, interests, honors, awards, and a personal statement are considered.
- Meet the general admission requirements of Ohio Northern University
- Have graduated from an accredited high school program with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.30 on a scale of 4.00 or higher (or GED)
- Attain a minimum ACT score of 23 or a composite SAT score of 1130
- Pass a criminal background check before clinical nursing courses
Special Program Requirements
The Ohio Revised Code states "A student shall not have impairment of the ability to practice according to acceptable and prevailing standards of safe nursing care because of physical or mental disability" (ORC Rule 4723-5-12 (16)). Thus, certain functional abilities and performance standards are necessary for the safe practice of professional nursing.
Essential functions include:
- The ability to see, hear, touch, smell, and distinguish colors
- The ability to speak and write with accuracy, clarity, and efficiency
- Manual dexterity (gross and fine movement)
- The ability to learn, think critically, analyze, assess, solve problems, and reach judgments
- Emotional stability and the ability to accept responsibility and accountability
Students will need to demonstrate satisfactory application of these functions and competencies during their course of study in nursing. Students should consider their ability to demonstrate these functions and competencies when applying for admission to the nursing program of Ohio Northern University.
Students must earn a grade of 'C' or higher in all nursing core courses and all other identified required courses outside the major.
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.