Jeffrey P. Smith, MA-TESOL
A native of rural Ohio, Mr. Jeff Smith earned his bachelor’s degree from Miami University, Ohio, and an MA in TESOL from the University of Findlay. At the Uzbek State University of World Languages, he taught students who were pursuing an MA in English Language Education (TEFL). During the ten years in Uzbekistan, he additionally conducted and participated in multiple professional development courses and seminars for the English teachers of Uzbekistan. For his “invaluable contribution to learning English,” he was awarded an Honorary Diploma from the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Specialized Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Mr. Smith often finds himself initiating new ventures. He led the first lingua-cultural exchanges in Warsaw, Poland, and Tashkent, Uzbekistan. He organized and taught the very first classes at the Bowling Green Language Institute at its inception. At Ohio Northern University, he instructed the first cohort of Saudi Arabian Prison Management students, and later launched the Intensive English Program.
Teaching international students at Ohio Northern University since 2007, he seeks to maximize the benefit of multicultural classes. He believes that students learn from students and that students and faculty alike can all learn from one another. Having lived in a major bilingual metropolitan area in Central Asia, he knows that language learning requires diligent effort, extreme focus, and constant practice. From his own experience he recommends that language learners laugh at their own mistakes and always celebrate their victories. Most of all, he takes great pleasure in student success.
He and his wife have three children – the older two are in college. He serves in the church, plays on the basketball court, and relaxes at the dinner table with acquaintances and friends.
- 1990 Program Staff leading 18 US students on a summer study abroad lingua-cultural exchange in Warsaw, Poland.
- 1992 Director leading 12 US students on a summer study abroad lingua-cultural exchange in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 1996-1999 English Language Instructor, International Economics College at the University of World Economy and Diplomacy, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 1999-2006 English Language Instructor, Graduate College of the Uzbek State University of World Languages, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 2003 Instructor, Uzbek Teachers of English Association (UzTEA) professional development summer courses, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 2004 Coordinator and Head Instructor, UzTEA’s professional development summer courses, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 2005 Coordinator and Head Instructor, UzTEA’s professional development summer courses, Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- 2007 Adjunct Instructor, Intensive English Language Program, University of Findlay, Findlay, OH.
- 2007-2009 Instructor and Curriculum Team Leader, Bowling Green Language Institute, Bowling Green, OH.
- 2007-2009 Adjunct Instructor teaching College Composition and Intensive College Composition, Ohio Northern University.
- 2008 English Language Coordinator, Kasukabe Camp, Ohio Northern University.
- 2009-2010 Director of English for Specific Purposes, Ohio Northern University.
- 2010-2011 Interim Director of the Bridging Program for International Students at Ohio Northern University.
- 2011-2012 Interim Director, Intensive English Program, Ohio Northern University.
- 2012-present Instructor in the English Language Programs at Ohio Northern University.
B.S. Miami University, Oxford, OH
M.A. – TESOL University of Findlay, Findlay, OH
Dukes Memorial 228
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-12 p.m.