Facilities and Equipment
Equipment and facilities matter to chemistry and biochemistry majors. Although we’re a small university, our facilities are modern and our equipment is cutting-edge. Additionally, we give students hands-on access to equipment that most students don’t get to use until graduate school.
Our department is housed on the second floor of the Meyer Hall of Science and the Mathile Center for the Natural Sciences, a student-centered research and learning facility that opened in 2009. Our department includes nine classrooms, nine teaching labs, three conference rooms, two computing lounges, 17 offices, 13 research labs, and stockroom and preparation areas.
We’re particularly proud of our nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer (NMR) – the Bruker Avance III 400 MHz. This $250,000 NMR expands the scope and quality of the research we conduct here. As a chemistry or biochemistry major, you’ll receive extensive hands-on training on the NMR in your sophomore year so that you can operate it independently. It’s one more incredible experience to add to your résumé.
To see the complete list of our equipment and facilities, click on the “In this section” menu above.
Here’s some additional equipment we offer. Click the names for additional information:
- Fluorescence Spectrophotometers
- Infrared Spectrophotometers
- 400 MHz Bruker NMR with an Advance III HD Nano-Bay Console and a Multinuclear Broadband 5 mm SmartProbe
- Laser Spectroscopy Lab
- Ultraviolet-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Thermo Scientific Nanodrop 2000C Spectrophotometer
- Innovx portable X-ray fluorescence (XRF) spectrometer
- SRS mobile residual gas mass analyzer (RGA)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Gas Chromatography (GC)
- GC-Mass Spectrometry
- Teledyne Isco CombiFlash Companion automated chromatography system
- High-performance computing cluster (40 processors)
- Computational Packages: Gaussian, QChem, WebMO, and Gamess
- Software: ChemDraw (site license) and SciFinder Scholar
- 4-electrode potentiostat
- Gel electrophoresis
- High speed centrifuge
- Pulsed polarograph
- Vacuum Atmospheres Solvent Purification System
- Vacuum Atmospheres Glove-box
- Thermoforma -80°C Freezer
- Index Instruments AA-5 Digital Polarimeter
- Glass-working bench, torches, and equipment
- Machine shop (located in the College of Engineering Building)
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.