Art Education Career Resources
Careers in Art Education
Our graduates from the art education program can find work in a variety of industries. An essential feature of Ohio Northern’s program is the involvement of the art education faculty in the students’ future job search. The faculty takes particular pride in this relationship that has led to an extremely high placement rate for our graduates.
Our graduates can find work as:
- kindergarten/elementary art teacher
- middle school art teacher
- high school art teacher
- college professor (with a master’s degree)
- adult education instructor
- state arts council employees
- arts management organization employees
- related occupations: librarians, counselors, education administrators.
Some organizations that typically employ art education majors include:
- Government and private museums/galleries
- Local historical societies
- Public/private art schools
- Public/private colleges & universities
- Adult and community educational programs
- Library educational programs
- Private/local arts councils
- Hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers and guidance facilities
The Praxis Series: Teacher Licensure and Certification
The Praxis Series™ assessments provide educational tests and other services that states use as part of their teacher licensure and certification process. The Praxis I® tests measure basic academic skills, and the Praxis II® tests measure general and subject-specific knowledge and teaching skills. For more information about the Praxis, visit http://www.ets.org.
Art Education Job Listings & Resources
Artist Resources: http://www.artistresource.org/jobhunt.htm
Association for the Advancement of Arts Education: www.aaae.org
College Art Association: http://www.collegeart.org/careers/
National Art Education Association: www.nea.org
Ohio Department of Education: www.ode.state.oh.us
Arts Employment: http://www.wwar.com
Career Planning Links
Career Alternatives for Art Majors: http://www.nd.edu/~crosenbe/jobs.html
Career Find-O-Rama (see artist and teacher): http://www.review.com
Professional Specialty Occupations (Occupational Outlook Handbook) (includes public teachers and visual artists): http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm
Professional Association Links
The Art Association: http://artassociation.org/
College Art Association: http://www.collegeart.org/
Mid America College Art Association
National Art Education Association
National Association of Schools of Art & Design: https://nasad.arts-accredit.org/
Ohio Art Education Association: www.oaea.org/
Ohio Arts Council: www.oac.state.oh.us
Wilson Art Building
525 South Main Street
Ada, Ohio 45810
Tuesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.