ONU Hosts Polar Bear Invitational for Mock Trial
Friday, January 21, 2011
The HPJ Department sponsored their annual ONU Mock Trial Invitational last weekend. More than 41 teams from 27 colleges and universities from around the nation competed in the tournament. In a strong field that included teams from the University of Michigan, Notre Dame, Loyola University, and last years' winner Central Florida, which repeated as victors, Team 1014 from ONU finished in fifth place.
students and professors from HPJ and ONU's Petit College of Law served as workers and judges, in a tournament that ran smoothly despite the cold and snow. In an article by John Curiel and published in the Northern Review, ONU' Assistant Coach Nicole Winget commented "I want to thank all of the faculty, law students and alumni who made this tournament possible. Never before has the Polar Bear Invitational gone so smoothly, and it was all due to everyone's combined efforts."
The top ten teams included:
1. Central Florida, Team 1025, Record 8-0
2. 2. Michigan, Team 1187, Record 7-1
3. 3. Eastern Michigan, Team 1009, Record 6-2*
4. 4. Loyola, Team 1274, Record 6-2*
5. 5. Ohio Northern University, Team 1014, Record 5.5-2.5*
6. 6. Michigan State, Team 1094, Record 5.5-2.5*
7. 7. Case Western, Team 1614, Record 5.5-2.5*
8. 8. Northwood, Team 1221, Record 5.5-2/5*
9. 9. Central Florida, Team 1026, Record 5-3*
10. Drexel, Team 1224, Record 5-3*